Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by big daddy cool, Dec 14, 2002.

Ibanez EDA 900 or BTB 400?

Poll closed Jul 2, 2003.
  1. BTB

24 vote(s)
  2. EDA

5 vote(s)
  1. I'm looking to get a new bass after christmas. I'm looking at the EDA 900 and the BTB 400. I'm really not sure what to get. I was looking at getting the BTB for a while, but i discovered that the EDA was around the same price today, i played them both and I like them both.

What would you get and why?
  2. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    I would get the BTB because it has more of a traditional neck, which I like. The neck is comfortable, sleek, and fast. The neck's kind of like a pbass neck. I prefer the neck over the EDA.
  3. Comparing the two isn't really fair. It's a tired old cliche, but youre not comparing apples with apples.

I personally have a problem with the finish on the EDA - too plasticky. That said, the EDA has a very nice, powerful sound that would sound great in a band. The BTB looks good and the longer scale makes it very punchy. However, it's not a light bass.

I play a BTB406QM and I'm chuffed with it. I'll probably get a second, maybe even one of the prestige models when I visit the states next year.

Either basses are good for the money.
  4. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    The BTB 515 and 1000 models are the better IMO only because of the bartolini pickups and the 1000 models have the bartolini electronics as well. I think the 500-515 models do as well. I still do like the 400's as well, they're great to play. But I prefer the barts in the bass. The neck's nice and the mono-rail bridge is just ingenious! The btb's are nice basses.
    As for the eda's, they have luthite composite bodies. Thus the light weight feel and everything. They have great sound and they got the piezio (sp?) system goin' for em'. But IMO I believe the BTB would be the better buy.
    That's my 5 cents
  5. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I loved the EDA, and the BTB just wasn't my style (quite heavy, big neck, bigger body, very warm sound). The EDA, however, has a piezo pickup, was very light, and had a sound better suited to my needs. It will probably be my next bass (well, the 5 string version, anyway)
  6. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Wha??? The BTB has a "eliptical taper" neck or something like that. It's completely non-traditonal. That being said, I have an original BTB510 without the Bart-o and I love it. It's the easiest 35 incher to play that and I think I've tried them all. I've got a P-bass and it's absolutely nothing like a P-bass neck. No similarity whatsoever. A P-bass neck is round and fat (which I also love for different reasons and purposes) and a BTB seck is long and flat.
  7. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, and the monorail bridge is nothing traditional... it just looks more traditional overall. But everything's more traditional than the EDA.
  8. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    Something I don't get about the EDA is that it has a peizo, because to me a piezo is supposed to capture more of a traditional UB sound, but the bass isn't made of wood, so to me it defeats the purpose. That being said, I like the way the EDA felt in my hands, but I thought that odd upper horn was just a bit too nouveau.
  9. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Well isn't this funny to be reading, now that I got a new bass. Guess which one I got...:D

Well, the outcome may have been different if the BTB wasn't $250 CAD cheaper...:bag: :D

PS, get the BTB!:D
  10. I must say that the btb isn't up to par for the price. most of the EDA's are much nicer than the BTB's as far as components at the same price. Does this make sense? You get more cool components with the EDA at the same price. And once you get used to the neck, there's no going back.
  11. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I say BTB. The EDAs are nice, but after a while, I felt like the novelty of them was wearing off a bit. The BTB is a good solid bass though; I like mine more every day!
  12. Comparing these two is pretty tough, as they have drastically different tones. I've played every model of BTB, except the new one with the 34" scale. All BTBs look, feel and play great, IMHO.

BTBs have a pretty traditional tone that most people would recognize right away. In the Jazz bass category, but, they still have their own sound. Some people may think the neck is too wide, but, I like them.

The EDAs are from a different school of thought entirely. Their tone is different from anything out there. It's kind of like a P-bass, Stingray and Rickenbacker rolled into one, but, that still doesn't accurately describe its tone. The EDA series has an odd EQ system in them, and you REALLY have to take a little time and experiment with it to appreciate it. If you pick one up in a music store, you might not get a tone you like right away; this is the bass' main drawback. If someone you know has one, and let's you play it for a couple of hours, you'll start to see how versatile they are. They're very versatile.

The neck is very easy to play, and, as I've said before, this is the most comfortable bass I've ever played.

Two different basses which are in two different cities, you choose the sound. The EDA I think would win for comfort. ;)