Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB QM refin question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Feb 24, 2004.

1. what's up TB'ers... I saw a photo of a Black BTB406QM on here somewhere that was refinished so that it looked sort of satin charcoal rather than the crispy lacquer-type finish that is stock on the basses (i'm guessing the finish was sanded off, but not sure what was done after that). I PM'd the guy who had it done but never got a response. i did a search as well, but came up empty handed. Any other BTB QM owners that experimented with a refinish this way? I can't hang with the stock finish. any tips or advice would be awesome before i attempt something that i'm really not too sure about what i should be doing... :help:

Thanks!!

2. one more thing.. any BTB QM series owners mod the bass so that it can operate in passive mode? I want to add a passive option but i don't know if the preamp can be modded that way... anybody help here?

3. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

Dec 28, 2002
    Bumped for good measure, I have a BTB QM as well, and woudl love to know how to rig it for a passive option.

4. Me too.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll bet it was just de-glossed.

6. i found the photo of the refinished bass...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=937

still no luck with a PM back though :confused: .... i'm gonna call my repair guy today and see what he's got to say about adding a passive option to that particular preamp. if i get info for you guys i'll let you know... ;)

7. i'm a fan of BTBs, so i hope this doesn't offend, but i'm surprised the bass still works without the thick gloss finish. it always felt to me like that's what holds it together!

robb.

8. not offended.. but i see where you are coming from! :D