Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB vs NS2000Q4 or do Preamp Rule?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFT, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Hi all,

Thanks to all your input to previous post (and a few trip to stores around here). I've narrowed down the choice of my first bass between a BTB-400QM and a Spector NS2000Q4.

Does a flat "EQ" really convey the "true" tone of the bass or is it impossible, when you have active preamp, to really hear the tone of the underlying piece of wood PURE?

Here's why I ask:
    When trying the Spector with EQ flat I found the sound "full" and relatively "thick" with neck pickup and very bright but not shallow with the bridge. (All of this leaving the EQ flat)

When I a/b the BTB-400 the sound (with flat eq) was kindda hollow (not thin) but not really full.
    HOWEVER as soon as I touched the bass knob and played a little bit with treble (not even touching mid) the tone came to life and became REALLY impressive.

I returned to the Spector, which has a simple 2 band EQ to "test" the tone shaping. The tone could definitively be shaped too, although not as drastically as with the BTB, and it was always musical and mostly "full".

Can I or should I compare the tone with flat EQ? Does my very basic (and dumb) test really means that the Spector (at least its wooden part) is WAY better quality and build than the BTB???

Thanks again for any input.

P.S. Yes in the end I let my hand and ear decide just like to know the true potential of each of these basses.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't know the answer to your question. I know some active basses, when set flat, are passive (if the pick-ups's are passive) & some basses, when set flat, that still have alitte coloration from the pre amp.

I know that both basses you're refering to have passive pick-ups w/active pre amp but I don't know how their preamp are when set flat.

I compared these basses & I felt the the BTB sounded alittle better but the body was too big for my liking & the Spector's neck & body felt better. Both basses are really great in their price range.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    gotta agree with Nino here.... both basses are really solid, and great bargains.... I went with a BTB405 myself!

P@

4. So you feel both are equal quality woodwise and construction wise?

If so then I'll definitively get the BTB: it is 100$ cheaper here than the Spector and it has better preamp IMHO.

On the feel size both neck are weird to me since I'm use to small guitar neck. So to me the somewhat larger BTB is not a factor, whatever the choice I'll have to adjust... The Spector neck sure felt nice and the action was relatively low. On the other hand the action on the BTB was very high (lot of bow in the neck) so it was though to say that I really like the action. The BTB string were tighter and less floppy (35" ?!?!)

Anyway thanks all just waiting for my check to finally get it!!!!

5. Holy cow! pmkelly you definitively have some gear!!! Just checked your profile. With what you own next to the BTB (Geddy Lee, Lakland etc) it confirms even more my choice of the BTB

Additionally Nino is known, as I understand it, as a Spector aficionado and he too confirm the BTB worthiness... (I guess that if I had a bigger budget he would have pushed the Czech more strongly though :D )

Thanks again!!!

There's nothing worst when you start to waste money on less than ideal equipement

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hey, thanks for all the props! I do really love all my basses.... can't decide to get rid of any of 'em for now! :p I would say line the basses up, starte playing 'em, and which ever you keep going back to the most is the one you should buy!

BTW, my meager little collection of bargain basses is easily outclassed and outnumbered by some of the dudes around here.... Nino, Brad Johnson, John Turner.... those guys have real problems!:D

P@

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    No question about it. I'd suggest you look around on eBay &/or the used listings here. I remember seeing a pre-owned blue NS-4CR for a reasonalbe amount of money. Let me check.....

Here it is. <a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48904&highlight=Spector"><b>CLICK HERE!!!</b></a>

8. That is a pretty crazy price for a Czech Spector. I'm trying to keep from giving my Czech 5 away, but the used market for these babies just isn't really good right now. I bet you could find a killer deal on a nice used Czech.

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    HEYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Don't go talking about Brad & John like that!!!!!!:mad:

:p :D

10. Hi Nino,

Well still got some issue with the Can$ value...

See the NS2000Q4 would have cost me 885$Can
    The BTB-400 will cost me 760$Can
    The deal you are referring too is in US$ so to me it becomes: 750$US * 1.5 = 1125$Can :(

I'm stretching my budget to get the BTB so the Czech (even used) :eek:

Thanks any way. I'm definitively attracted by Spector I just think I'll have to wait a few years before I can shell the big bucks to get one. BTW I have still to see one used in Canada for sale...

11. Man, if I had $750, I'd buy that baby.....God it's lovely.

I have a BTB, and I love it. I have played a Czech Spector, a while back, though. It was beautiful sounding. Probably would have bought it from the guy if I had money. :p However, I love my BTB.

12. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hmmmm..... guilty by association?

:D

P@

13. Just want to thank all that helped me made a choice: I just returned home with my first bass a BTB-400QM. Now the fun and the learning start!

P.S. I thought my finger were hardened enough since I play guitar but ouch! I guess my right index and medium are in for some pain :D