Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB1005 pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by karxix, Aug 12, 2005.

1. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    hello,
    well I got my btb1005 in 2002, it was the model with the ibanez pickups (not bartolini)....I now want to upgrade the pickups like the newer models which have bartolini,but since they're custom size am having trouble shopping...

can anyone help me out on what pickups to get or what size, and such?
    am open to other options than bartolinis...

thanks

PS: pickup size is smthg around 11.4cm x 3.4cm (~4.5" x ~1.4")

2. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    no one? :crying:

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Bartolini MK is 108mm x 34mm and EMG45/Bartolini M5 is 114mm x 38mm. That's all I could come up with.

4. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    *bump*

5. crazyfish

crazyfish

Sep 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry to bump a year-old thread, but I have the exact same question. I love the feel and action of by BTB1005, but I think some Barts would make it sound much better and more versatile. I'd like to avoid doing body routing if at all possible, because I don't have the tools and paying a shop to do it would be cost prohibitive.

My bass has the same pickup dimensions as the OP (11.4cm x 3.4cm (~4.5" x ~1.4")) and I've had the same luck (or lack thereof) finding a solution that doesn't require body routing.

6. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Won't these work. I thought they were just standard soapbard dimensions. Sorry I'm an idiot. Read on.

The 1005 with the non bart pickups are the same non bart pickups used in all the btb series, and according to a 555 review you can use the Bartolini® MK1 neck pu and Bartolini® MK1 bridge pu. According to Bart's website they measure 108mmx34mm. Recheck your measurements.\

--edit--
    My Btb505 (not an E :( ) pickups measure 4.50" x 1.25"

7. crazyfish

crazyfish

Sep 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Unless there is some special point at which pickups are measured that isn't the edge, I've checked my measurements three times and I'm certain that they're accurate.

8. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Excuse my idiocy, it happens from time to time. I could have swore that drop in replacements were readily available. Now it looks as if I'm SOL. If I can remember I'm going to call bart tomorrow and ask them. I've searched every major manufacturer and haven't found a replacement pickup that fits either of our measurements.

9. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    The Seymour Duncan ASB-5 active phase I is a direct replacement for the Bartolini P25CBC - 5 string P2 Soapbar. According to Seymour Duncan they're 4.28"x1.3" and bartolini says P2's are 4.25" x 1.25". Hopefully I can get someone on the phone at Bartolini tomorrow.

10. crazyfish

crazyfish

Sep 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I went ahead and journeyed over to the Seymour Duncan website and found some of their measurement diagrams.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/dimensionpages/asb-5.shtml

My measurements of 114mmx34mm were taken measuring edge to edge like the 4.280 measurement in the above linked diagram. Measuring the distance between the center of the screws (like the 4.027 measurement in the above linked diagram), I get 107-108mm which is just about the numbers given for the Bartolini MK. The question is of how the Barts are measured, because if they are in fact measured from screw center to screw center rather than the whole pickup width, they'll almost certainly be a drop-in replacement. In fact, the MKs have the same "two screws on the bass side and one screw treble side" design as my Ibanez pups. Some of the harmony central reviews of the BTB1005 mentioned replacing the older Ibanez pickups with Barts but none of them mentioned if routing was needed.

Thanks a lot for your help.

11. crazyfish

crazyfish

Sep 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, now I'm near certain that the barts are measured screw to screw.

I just checked out the MKs at bestbassgear and they have a measurement diagram: http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-mk5-pickups.htm

Take a look at the little lines extending off the main measurement line. The vertical dimensions are measured across the whole pickup, and the horizontal dimensions fan inward a little bit. Not surprisingly, the little measurement fan lines terminate around the center of the screw. edit: I just noticed the second set of extending lines. Makes for a slightly confusing diagram :-/

12. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    There are (or at least used to be) US made Bartolini replacements available by special order (mine took 5 months). However, the stock Ibanez pickups are not that bad. It's the preamp that is garbage. I put a Demeter in mine before I got the Barts and it made a world of difference. Once I finally got the Bart pickups, the improvement was only 15-20%!

Ralf

13. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Ok, I just got off the phone w/ Tom from Bartolini. I love calling a number and hearing someone say "Hello, this is Tom." instead of "For English press 1, blah blah Espanol el locho." (sp?). He stated that our pickup measurements were unusual and that the Barty Ibanez pickups are just that specifically made for Ibanez and possibly contacting Ibanez for replacements. He also stated that the routing could be different for the higher end Ibanezes (again sp?). The closest he could do off the shelf were the P2 model pickups (measuring 4.25x1.25) and that the 1/8" difference at the top and bottom of the pickup would probably not be noticeable or hurt sound quality. The M series is Dual coil and the C series is quad coild and has alot more functionality (coil tapping, phasing, etc.). The price difference is $60 retail more for the C series ($120 vs $180/pickup). Over the weekend I'll make mockups of the various sized pickups listed here and take accompanying photos.

14. crazyfish

crazyfish

Sep 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Did the new preamp fix the problem where the mid control has a huge effect on the overall volume? That's the only real problem I have with it, and if a new preamp would fix the issue (I'd probably get a Bartolini or Aguilar pre) then I think that's where my money will go.

15. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I've found that the mid control of any preamp has a big impact on the overall volume. When I put the Demeter in, the bass just sounded better. There was more presence, more clarity and I could get the kind of tone I wanted out of it. It made my bass sound bigger. A few months before I got rid of the Ibanez (I built a Warmoth Gecko), I put a Bartolini preamp in it. The Bart pre was on par quality wise, but the I preferred the Demeter.

Ralf

16. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    hmm...bumping back this topic...
    havent decided what to do with my btb yet
    whether to replace the preamp or pickups

i dont find my B string bassy/low enough compared to an LTD i have, am not sure whether it's the pickpus not picking up enough low end or the preamp not passing it through, or dont know...

what do you guys suggest?

17. crazyfish

crazyfish

Sep 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I'm still debating what to do with mine as well. There's no way I'll sell it because it plays like heaven but the choice of preamp vs pickups is a tough one because I could do the pre easily myself but I'm not sure how much of an improvement it will be. I'm looking right now at bartolini pups but an Aguilar OBP-3 for the pre.

Maybe after I stumble upon a pot of gold I can decide.