BTB405 - Good choice for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlavaF, Dec 28, 2002.

1. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Hey everyone! I know a lot of you have experience with the Ibanez BTB405QM, and I have heard many good things about it. I found one, brand new, for 705$ Canadian. I was offered about 400-500 for my Soundgear 640. I mainly want to get into 5 strings.

I know it's good, but would it be good for someone who likes to play Dream Theater, Incubus and Tool? Should I look into the Ergodynes, or some other brand?

I played one, and it sounds good. The main Q is, is it good for a rock - metal player? Thanks for any help. :)
  2. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Can anyone help?:confused:
  3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    The BTB line of basses are realy good IMHO for the money. With it's eq you should be able to dial up just about any sound you want. I don't see how you could go wrong.
  4. Hi Masterbasser_43,

I've been using a BTB for the last 6 months, it's my first bass.

I don't know for the fivers but the 4 strings neck is WIDE (for a 4) to the point that almost any bass I pickup when going to store feel REAL easy compared to my BTB. Since you are coming from a SGR-640 (which have small neck) you should definitively try one for at least 30 minutes and compare it's feel with other 5 fivers. I like the sound of my BTB but after 6 months I know playability is not ideal (for me anyway).

As for sound it will do whatever you want depending on your choice of string. It definitively has a modern sound. The preamp is very good for this price range, with the right strings you'll be able to coax a huge variety of tones. Just don't expect Stingray kind of sound there's no big MM pickup here.

For the price you are looking for try finding a used G&L 1505 (used 2500 are around 1100$Can) this IMHO would be a much better rock bass.
  5. I'm in the same situation Masterbasser_43, I play the same music you do and wouldn't mind getting a 5-stringer, maybe even a 6 :D

I tried a Warwick Rockbass and an Ibanez (sorry, can't remember what one!) in a bass shop in London not long ago. The Warwick was ok, but I preferred the sound and string spacing of the Ibanez. The bass chick in the shop recommended Ibanez for rock/metal, just gotta decide which one :)

I kinda know someone who plays a BTB405QM, I'll try and talk to him and ask him what he thinks about it.

John Myung ROCKS!
  6. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Thanks for the help everybody!

I have no access to a G&L, so I probably can't go with that. I'll be sure to try the BTB for as long as I can, but after about 10 minutes, I was fine. I will try to play the 6er version, but my hands aren't that big. SR3006 is too expensive, but I may be able to try a spector NS2000/6 if the BTB doesn't work out. But I may change my mind and want a 5er again.
  7. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Sound like the same situation as i was in.

Get the BTB, it rules :)
  8. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I have a BTB that I bought at the same time as I started TB'ing, hence my lovely username. :D

It's a good bass, for the money, sounds like that's a pretty good deal too.

Good Luck!
  9. I've had my BTB405QM for over five months. I had been playing a Gibson Ripper (4-string) and the BTB is my first fiver. I really like it and, even though I'd tried other basses, I haven't found anything I liked better for the price. There are many fine basses on the market, but the BTB is like it was just built for me. The many tonal possibilities allow this bass to be played in a variety of styles. Like I said, there are many fine basses made, and some of the more expensive ones may well be better, but the BTB is a good value. I once thought I would never buy an Ibanez, but I have never regretted my BTB purchase and would do it again. I've been curious though, if the higher end BTB's with Bartolini pickups sound significantly different from the BTB405. An additional note; I prefer flatwound strings and have settled on Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. The TI's are made for a 34" scale length, but do fit the BTB.
  10. Stone Sour

Stone Sour

Dec 18, 2002
    Im in the same boat as you man, I posted a similar post asking about the BTBs about a month ago, I haven't bought it yet, I'm still thinking about it, I have played one and the string spacing is VERY nice for a 5 string and I thought the neck wasn't thick at all, it was just right. I definitely try it out first.
  11. Hey Masterbasser,

Is the Spector you are referring to the Korean made neckthrough? If so you'll fall in love. When I got my BTB I was strongly tempted by the Spector NS2000Q4 (Korean built but bolt on) and playability and sound was astounding the 200$CAN price difference push me toward the BTB else I'd be playing it. If you got a deal on the Spector you have to try it!!!

KeiBau I've been toying with the idea of trying flat on my BTB do you have sound sample of that? I'd really like to hear how it sound!

12. JFT,

Sorry, I don't have any sound clips. I'm leaving for work and can't put something together at the moment. However, I can tell you that I've used two different brands of flatwound strings on my BTB; Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats and D'Addario Chrome flats. Both brands worked well, but my preference is the TI's. If you use the D'Addarios, use the super longs on the BTB. The lower tension TI's are not floppy and, indeed able to produce a bright tone, including the low-B. The sustain has not been impaired and is indeed quite long. The BTB can be EQ'd from a very bright tone to a dull thud with these strings.
  13. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    had my BTB for about a year now and I use it for gigs pretty much every day - good basses, good eq for the prices, nice feel... but very wide neck and pretty heavy too... make sure you play it for a while, and standing up to get an idea of the neck size and the weight of it for long gigs... I also use a "comfort strapp" (the padded bouncey ones). They arent overly cheap but really help spread the weight if it seems like it would be a problem - see if you can try one with that kind of strap too....

DC :)
  14. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    If you have the money. Look in to a used Ibanez SR3000. I dunno how much they run for overthere but I've seen them for about $900 US brand new. Maybe you can look in to a used one if you can.

The SR3000s have a neck through body, with Bartolini Preamp/Pickups. IF you see them in your local music stores, definitely try one out. I fell in love with them. :D

It will definitely be worth your wait if you can find one.

Good luck

15. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Thank you all again for the help! I DO have access to SR300(0/5/6), Spector NS2000Q(4/5/6), and BTB40(0/5/6). $900 US may be a bit much right now, unfortunately... I've seen the spectors go for about 600 US on Musicians Friend I think, and the place in Edmonton has some "we'll beat anyone" thing going on, so I could probably swing that one. for $900 CAN. How's the string spacing on the spector?
  16. From memory the string spacing on the Spector was relatively standard about halfway between a BTB and a Jazz bass. The NS2000Q4 (bolt-on) is one that I tried and really felt in love with. For slap they are awesome (as for rock Ian Hill (sp) from Judas Priest uses 2 Spectors and ESP basses)

The price I had quoted on the NS2000Q4 was 850$Can for new one (before tax).

Since I came from a guitar I expected that any bass would have me stretch. I've now had the BTB for over 6 months and although I have adjusted to it I still feel WAY more comfy whenever I play a Spector (or about any other bass as a matter of fact!!!). I don't remember trying a bass (4 and 5 strings) that was harder to play (stretch wise) than my BTB.

However here's a small story showing the good side of getting used to BTB (anyway for me!)
    I've got "standard size" hands and a good technique according to my teacher but even a StingRay-5 feel and play more easily than my 4 string BTB.

Don't get me wrong I like my BTB's tone but spacing IS wide(both axis with 35" scale). This is good for slapping but my fretting hand experience tension and pain when I'm playing for too long which is about 1.5-2 hours.

BTB are awesome values and are more versatile sound wise and more "hi-fi" sounding than the Spector but make sure their playability suits you.

Good Luck!
  17. Wow!! I've heard numerous comments on the BTB and feel compelled to make additional statements. Yes, the BTB is a large instrument, heavier than most, and to some may feel clunky. However, I don't believe it's the largest bass made. But for me, my BTB405 5-string feels natural. I really feel like I have something solid in my hands. The weight and string spacing does not tire me, and my hands are standard size too, not large. I'm a "bull in a china shop" kind of guy and need plenty of space. The smaller instruments just don't feel comfortable to me. If someone is coming over from guitar and would prefer a guitar feel, then maybe the BTB will feel a bit clunky for them. I still say to try it, you may like it. If you don't, that's OK. Everyone is a unique individual and has different requirements, likes and dislikes.
  18. Hey KeiBau,

I don't want to scare him from the BTB. I "really" do like mine but had I spent more time and put playability higher in my criteria more I'd waited 2 or 3 weeks more and gotten the Spector.

When I got mine I was aware of it's neck reputation but I went for it anyway. I purposedly shy away from the bass with guitar neck (Soundgear) since I wanted to be a "real" bassist.
    Real bassist have tree-trunk sized neck right?;)

Anyway I like the tone a lot and I now actually feel at home on it. But I felt really bad the first 3-4 months during which every other bass felt great in my hands except MINE!

The weight or size of the bass itself isn't a problem as it is well balanced.

I put emphasize on its playability because I feel it's easy to overlook that aspect. Heck the bass tone and look are amazing in that price range!

As a side note is it standard for bass to react as much to string than the BTB? I was amazed at how much it react to different strings! I've tried 6 or 7 different sets and I couldn't believe how much it changed the sound.
  19. JFT,

I haven't tried as many sets of strings as you did, I've only had three sets on my BTB; the originals that came with the bass, then D'Addario Chrome flats, and Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats. There was a marked difference from the originals to the DA's (rounds to flats), but the difference in tone between the DA's and the TI's wasn't quite so marked. Though to me, the TI's had a better feel and more even tone and volume from string to string. Oh, by the way, I hope you weren't taking my remarks as being negative on your post. I didn't mean them that way and was only making additional comments.
  20. Yes he does!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I'll be an owner of a BTB406QM soon hopefully. I ordered it from a music store and the bastards said that it would only take a week or so. It's now been like 3 :( oh well.

Catch ya on the flipside dudemeister!