Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB405 or SR506

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vic_6, Jul 27, 2005.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    hey,
    im choosing between a BTB405 and an SR506. im can get either one for the same price. which is about $390-$400.

i already have a 5'er. a washburn taurus. i do like the sound i get from it. tone is much to my liking. (it's the first 5'er ive ever had, just so you guys know). thing is, it's so neck heavy that it's such a hassle struggling to hold the neck up and im not so satisfied with the B.

i have tried the 405. the first time, it seemed real good. the second time i wasnt too thrilled. but it could have been the lousy amp the dude plugged it into. it felt nice but when i tried it the second time, the tone didnt do anything for me. but yeah, it could have been the amp.

the 506, i havent tried. but i've always wanted to get a 6 string and it's got barts in it. the only thing im worried about this is the string spacing...

so, which one would you guys suggest i look out for in these basses? i've read that they're both good in cartain ways but what are the usual cons about them? initial problems you've experienced or problems you've had after owning them for a while. how about the B on both of them? should i stay on 5 or make the step up to 6?

i will try both though and see which fits me and feels better. i just wanna make sure i dont miss out on anything that could be a problem in the future.thanks for your time!

vic

2. 506 is amazing.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 506 is a better bass. If you can get used to the string spacing. I have an older 506, without the Barts.:( It has a very good B string, and a very playable neck. But the string spacing makes slapping (and especially popping and double thumbing) a real challenge.

4. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    yeah? it's really much better than the btb huh? any cons on the 506? cuz i really like the body on the btb but the neck seems a tad bit wide (though i think i could get used to it).

in what ways does the 405 fall short as compared to the 506?

5. embellisher

The BTB has a wider neck, so it is more comfortable for slap.

The place that the BTB falls short is the electronics. It sounds anemic compared to the Bart equipped 506. There are some more expensive BTB models that have Barts. If you like the BTB more, check into one of those.

6. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id go the sr506. It uses more exotic woods than the BTB and beats it in the looks department if you ask me.

7. Never tried an SR500 series, i remember the SR400's sounded like **** tho, love my BTB406 tho :D

maybe you should go and try them both with an amp similar to yours to find out, and you'd probably be better deciding if you want a 5 or 6 string (seems odd to compare 2 basses with different numbers of strings)

8. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i've tried both. the 506 is sweet. methinks i'll be getting a 505 in the near future...

9. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    primus_55: were wenge and bubinga the only woods used for hte 506? or were there other woods used? might sound stupid, but just wanna make sure. so i can research on the woods n stuff.

mohawk: yeah, it's just that if i were to replace my 5'er i was thinking, "why not go up to 6?" cuz those are the only two options i really have over here.

oh how's the weight on the SR? is it REALLY light? cuz i tried an SR3000 (i think that was it) and man was it light. :D

10. Why not look at at BTB406QM then ? so they are both 6 string?

One thing tho, the BTB's are pretty heavey

11. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    The body is mahogany, the neck is a 5 piece laminate? of wenge and bubinga.

I have played the sr500, and that is a seriously good bass for the money. The neck was beautiful.

12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm biased, but I've used a 2004 model SR506 as my main bass since they started offering 'em last year around March/ April time, and I love it to death. Slap was hard to get used to, but then again, it's got the same string spacing as the bass I started on, a GSR205, so it wasn't a big deal. I got used to it, and I don't DT, so that's no real issue.

13. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    mohawk: i would but we dont have the BTB406 here. it's sad country i live in. the 405 is the only BTB that's sold here that's more than four strings.

aryt aryt. thanks everyone! if anyone has more opinoins or things to say, just keep in coming. :)

14. ah damn, that sucks, ill be honest in that i did a bad thing with my 406! i bought it off ebay (only £250, it had just been setup and was in mint condition!) without having played one before, i had only tried the 400

15. embellisher

The 506 has Barts, so it will not sound like ****.

16. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    one other factor to consider between the two is the scale length. if i remember correctly, the BTB405 is a 35" where as the SR506 i think is a 34".

-ugo

17. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Wich sounds better, the sr506 or the six string prestige sr?

Also would you suggest one of those two basses to someone who is very serious abotu bass, and expects to be playing bass for a living, or is it more of a beginner instrument?

18. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    You could also look out for the new btb 550 series...

it doesn't cost much more than the 400 series and it has mahogany instead of basswood as bodywood.

I have never played a SR bass but i own a btb and i love it...

i guess the SR is better but i dont think i would choose it over my btb...

EDIT: Didn't someone say that the barts in the SR (MK1) isn't real barts? or they sound nothing like the USA made barts... because the mk1 is chine/korea or something?

Bassdrum:

A prestige SR might be twice as expensive compared to the 506, i think they sound better.

These both basses(btb405, sr506) ar middle priced basses, and someone who isn't serious about maybe just should stick to the newbie kit...

19. I dont think barts would have saved the SR400 i heard, i honestly havent tried a 500, so i cant comment on it, was just saying i didnt like the SR 400 if it was at all similar

20. embellisher

The MK-1 is a Bartolini designed pickup that is manufactured in Korea. It doesn't sound like your average Bart, most of them are dark and warm sounding.

The MK-1s are very bright and aggressive, which I happen to like. Most USA Barts are too dark for me.

While the MK-1s are not USA made, they are in a lot of mid priced import basses. Cort/Elrick Josh Paul, Cort Curbow, Lakland 44-01 and 55-01, just to name a few. They are much better than most stock Ibanez pickups, including the ones in the BTB 4 series. And the preamp is better than the stock Ibanez preamps too.