Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB405 Q??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Apr 27, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm considering this bass. The wide neck is very attractive to me. To those who own one or have experience playing one, how is it's 'slap' qualities? I've read that the pickups and pre are very solid sounding but I need to step up to a wider neck. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I too dig the wider neck even with my relativesly small hands. I dig the slap tone. To me it seems pretty fenderish at first, but you can dial in a couple pretty interesting and unique ones, including a better fenderish one.

Though i have to warn you, its a not a naturally agressive bass in the least bit. I found it wasn't a good match for anything more abrasive/aggressive than what would be labled as alternative rock. This thing KILLS for RnB and Smooth Jazz style music (for the price).

So if you're looking for a nice solid midrange bass the BTB isnt a bad choice at all.

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    It's a great bass, but heavy.

The way I've got it set now, it's very growly and deep sounding... great in a rock band! Very nice bass, and it looks great too! Just get a wide padded strap... :cool:

4. I think that BTBs are excellent basses. The necks are pretty wide for me, as I play a four-string jazz bass, but it's nice to see decently wide string spacing on a fiver. Not aggressive? It could be the Elixir strings that come on them from the factory. The few that I have played seem to be plenty aggressive, especially with a plectrum. If anyone finds their BTB to be too tame, I would recommend installing some stainless steel strings, perhaps DRs. Anyhow, my advice to DWBass is to go buy one. Seriously. You won't regret it.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wheee! I was sitting on the fence about one of these myself, and now...it's decided! My next bass will most certainly be a BTB40...6! Wide string spacing? Makes for good slappage! :D

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've played a lot of BTB's and they definately a great buy. The 405 is a very good bass for slap- very comfortable,a dn the tone is thick and full. BTB's have some of my favorite slap tone. I thought they were relatively light, but my main axe is a solid maple Czech Spector (about 13 lbs). I'd say teh BTB is around 9/10 lbs. This is definately Ibanez's best mid-priced bass.

7. I'm so accustomed to the BTB that it doesn't really feel heavy to me. Anyway, I've tried several straps and my favorite is the Levy's leather; wide (3.25" or 82mm), is soft leather and is well padded. It looks sharp and is oh so comfortable.