Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB405Q vs. EDC715

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mint_Coffee, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    BTB405Q and EDC715.

Which would you chose and why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not actual scale... :D

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    BTB for string spacing and pickups(tonal options)
    EDC for upper register access and overall comfort(body shape/contours).
    Whichever is more important to you.

If they would widen the neck on the EDC, at the last fret, not at the nut, I might try one.

3. Well, I've never played an EDC, but I have had the op to play one of the BTB's. They're really very nice basses and don't really possess any of the traits anti-Ibanez guys hate about Ibanez basses. In fact, I'd say that based on opinons here on TB, most would put the BTB series as Ibanezes best work since the ATK and Roadstars.

They're solidly constructed, weigh enough as to not feel like a toy, and they have a significant, flatter, wider neck. They also look classier than the lower end Ibanezes. Best of all, though, they sound great! It's still a modern tone they're working with, but it's a usable one from the start. Pickups put out plenty of volume while remaining whisper quiet, and the eq makes for some great shaping options as well. IMO, it's definitely one of the best bang for the buck basses.

I really couldn't find anything I didn't like about them, and I'd say they're worth the $600 U.S. tag they carry around here. If you can find one used though, you could probably get it close to mint condition for half of that, and that's a flat out steal. :bassist: *note: All the above is opion based. ;)

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've played both. The BTB wins. The ergodyne series is "teh uber sux0rz". I have played the EDC715 and have owned the EDB600.. Both were horrible. They are heavy, smell bad, and their tone can get uber "twangy" and offer no low end. Also, their fret spacing was a tad weird o_0. None of the Ergodynes are 34" scale (that I know of.. The EDB is weird.) Out of all of them, the EDA is my favorite, but if they were wood, I would like them a lot more.

5. Since I hadn't played the EDC series I was gonna leave my experience with owning an EDB 400 out of it, but since Whafromdamus says the problems are still there, I'll share.

Personally, it was my second bass, and it was brought more on looks than anything. However, that's about as good as it got. As Whaf said, it smelled like lighter fluid, it felt like a toy, the scale was weird, and the neck was too thin for my tastes. As for sound, I only ever found one that I didn't completely hate. IMO, that was the fault of the luthite body. It had an onboard 3 band pre, but even with that and the eq on my amp, I couldn't shape the tone much. It always sounded very "artificial". Think Squier on steroids. lol To me, that was all the fault of the luthite. Plastic body equals plastic sound.

6. i've got a BTB 406.. awesome bass.

Don't waste your time with luthite.. i have heard nothing but bad things about it..

BTB's are one of the best basses in the Ibanez line up.