Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB406 or TRB-6II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richperson, Apr 2, 2002.

1. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    I'm looking to get a used 6-string. Here are my requirements: 35" scale, wide string spacing, broad spectrum useable tone (active eq). Unfortunately, it looks like the Peavey Cirrus 6 and TRB neck-thru's are out of my range (below $700).

So, after playing a few, I have narrowed it down to the BTB406 or a bolt-on TRB-6II. I like the feel of the BTB neck the best and really like the electronics. But the TRB has better wood and build quality. After A/Bing the two with the Cirrus, my only real complaint with the BTB is that unplugged, the B sounded with fairly strong harmonic that was not present in the others. Plugged in, my untrained ear couldn't really tell that much difference.

Any thoughts?

2. Depends on the tone you want, obviously. I'd feel more comfortable doing slap and hard rock work with the TRB6-II because of that heavy ash body and ebony fretboard. Mind you, I've only played the 5-string versions of each, so my opinion may not be valid.

3. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Thanks Peter, I forgot to mention my style (still developing) is mostly jazz and rock fingerstyle. No popping and slapping at this point.

I guess my real question is wood versus electronics. I like the BTB electronics better, but like the TRB wood better. I know I can always upgrade the electronics, but I won't be able to do that for a while ($$$).

4. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I have the 406, and I love it. I play finger style in a progressive rock/hard rock/metal band, and I'm having a blast with it.

The bass can get some pretty good growl/grind, and the lows/low mids are definitely there. I do like the onboard controls very much. The variable mids are great, although I would prefer to know what frequency ranges it covers (as in the numbers). Boosting the low mids will *really* beef up your sound (gotta be careful with it, or it'll get muddy), but I personally haven't seen much effect in the high mids (I probably haven't experimented enough). The coolest thing is playing a higher note repeatedly while sweeping the mid frequency selector with the boost/cut switched goosed (all the way up). It creates a nice funky wah effect. But moving along.....the treble can be dialed in to your heart's content as well. The neutrik locking jack is very useful because you won't get unplugged in the middle of a gig or practice. But getting used to unplugging it could take some time, because the switch is pretty stiff (in a good way)! :p I also really like the quilted maple top, although I would prefer a natural or green/black burst finish.

On the flip side, I think I'd prefer an ebony or maple fingerboard, but that's just personal preference. I think the pickups could have a little more "oomph" in them (I wonder if I can put Seymour Duncan's in there sometime...), but again, that's my opinion. There's pretty much no real "flaw" that I see with the bass.

All in all, it's a great bass for the price, and it does more than I could ask for.

Hope that helps.