Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB406 vs RBX JM2 vs TRB6-II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yahuui, Aug 16, 2004.

1. yahuui

yahuui

Aug 13, 2004
    Germany
    I've decided to buy one of those basses. I don't know which, that's why I'm asking your advice, so that I won't regret after buying.
    Thanks. :bassist:

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The first and most obvious issue is string spacing - the BTB and TRB have wide (19 mm) spacing, the JM2 has extremely tight (17mm, perhaps less?), the second would be pricing (there's a large difference between the Ibanez and the TRB), and the third would be the electronics (single MM humbucker on the RBX, soapbars on the others).

I'd say to get out there and play them before you make any decisions. They're all fairly different and have their own positives and negatives. Personal opinion and "bang for the buck" goes to the BTB , however.

3. yahuui

yahuui

Aug 13, 2004
    Germany
    The problem is, the music stores around me don't have the RBX JM2 and the TRB6-II, so I can't try them unless I order, and to order means to buy. :crying: :crying:
    Well, the price doesn't really matter actually, so I just want the one with the best quality (regarding every aspects).
    You mentioned about the tight string-spacing of JM2, but I see the difference only 2 mm, can the player really feel this 2 mm difference. What's the result of having 2mm tighter string-spacing?
    For the pickups and electronics, what do you think is the best from the there basses I mentioned?
    In Germany, the BTB406 costs €600, the RBX JM2 € 830 and the the TRB6-II €930.

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    A decent music store should let you order in a bass without forcing you to buy it. I recommend the TRB6-II, very good basses. The pickups are excellent, and the preamp is good, although some feel it's a bit too hissy.

17mm to 19mm will be noticable, you will need to play both to see what you're more comfortable with. Some feel "cramped" on the 17, while others feel that 19 is too wide to cross strings easily.

5. yahuui

yahuui

Aug 13, 2004
    Germany
    that way I should really try them before I buy then. The TRB6-II is not sold in most music stores here. I wonder why, is it because the model is old?

6. 2mm is a big difference (1mm is noticeable). Just imagine that the bridge will be 1cm wider.

I have a Yamaha TRB6 with the 19mm spacing, and a Conklin 8-string with a 14mm spacing. Switching between the two is a nightmare, as skipping one string on the Yamaha is similar to skipping two on the Conklin (imagine the confusion when slapping octaves).

7. I own a BTB 406,

I trialled out the TRB and Yammie JM (the first one) and i picked out the BTB 406. It felt right to me.

If you can muster the dough.. go with the 1006.. personally i think that thing will smoke both Yammies!

8. yahuui

yahuui

Aug 13, 2004
    Germany
    It's true that more expensive does not always mean better quality, but the price of TRB6-II is here about € 100 more expensive. Are you saying that the TRB1006 is better than TRB6-II ? And that I should get the TRB1006 instead of TRB6-II and the BTB406?

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No, the BTB1006. It's the uber-high end of the Ibanez BTB line.

My teacher has a TRB-6II and gigs with it CONSTANTLY. He's the definition of the "working jazz musician". He also uses it when teaching. I've played it a few times and it's a fantastic instrument -- the EQ is great, the neck has a wonderful profile, the string spacing really allowed me to get used to playing a sixer quickly, and overall, I've gotta say...it's one awesome, awesome instrument. There's a TRB-4II they got in the store that I take lessons in, and I played it every time I saw it (before it was sold :( ) because it was an awesome, awesome bass. I love the TRB's.

That said, I really haven't heard a lot of good about the JM2 :/. Sorry! The BTB406 is the best "bang for the buck" but if money isn't an issue, I'd say the TRB is probably your best bet. Plus, Yamaha has great service from when I've dealt with them (I had a few issues with the nut and fb on a fretless, they gave me a factory replacement bass!).

10. yahuui

yahuui

Aug 13, 2004
    Germany
    OK, that means the best among those 3 is the TRB6-II. Good, then I'll get this one. But like I said before, the TRB6-II is a rather rare bass here, so is it OK to get the TRB1006, in case I fail to get the TRB6-II?
    Is the TRB1006 of the same quality with the TRB6-II ?
    Thanks very much guys, I think that's my last question for you.

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It would seem that corners were cut with the TRB1006, as it's not logical that a bass with a flame maple top is several hundred (US) dollars less than the simple ash TRBII. I haven't played one personally, so I can't say for sure. It's probably still a good bass.

12. yahuui

yahuui

Aug 13, 2004
    Germany
    Comments from the other, please ?

13. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    For the price difference I would not compromise and get the 1006; the TRB6-II is way better. If you can afford it go with that one you won't regret it. It is the most Pro instrument of the onces you listed. Any Yamaha dealer in Germany should be able to order it for you.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    There is no TRB1006. He was referring to the Ibanez BTB1006.

It doesn't matter if they carry it in store, they can order it no problem.

15. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Yes there is:
    TRB1006

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :eek: Really?!

Dang, do I ever feel stupid.

EDIT: Oohhhh. It's new, that's why! Is it a summer NAMM introduction? I remember checking their site a couple times after Winter NAMM and it wasn't there.

17. yahuui

yahuui

Aug 13, 2004
    Germany
    Sorry, looks like I have more questions. I heard the TRB1006 is the new replacement (or newer version) for the TRB6-II, which means the quality of TRB1006 is the same or even better that TRB6-II. Is this true? Then why is the price of the new one cheaper than that of the old one? I'm really confused again ... :confused: :confused: :help: :help: :help:

18. I wouldn't say that the BTB is 'better' than the TRB series.

I'm just saying that to me it was more comfortable.. and just felt & sounded right.

I won't say a bad thing about the TRB series, although i didnt take one home when i was shopping for a 6'er.. it sounded great, good fretwork, the model on display had an awesome grain to the wood. It was a daymn fine instrument in its own right.

19. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I've own both the BTB406 and TRB6 II... can't say one is really better then the other. The TRB 6 felt a bit better then the BTB, I preferred the electronic on the BTB... The mid sweep is not useless but it's always an approximation of the tone you're looking... never really what it should be. The BTB1006, if you have the money for it, seems like the best option.

take care
    PL

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's certainly something I'd like to know too!

The BTB1006e is a pretty swank bass too. Never had the opportunity to play one myself, unfortunately, but I've never heard a bad thing about it (other than the price). IIRC, the bassist for Santana uses one. I don't know about what albums/tracks though, sorry!