Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB406QM owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Milothicus, Apr 14, 2002.

1. If any of you are out there, could you tell me the string spacing at the bridge? and at the nut, for that matter, i suppose.

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    bridge, 90mm (divide by 6) wide

nut, 45mm (divide by 6)

3. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    The Ibanez web site says the nut width is 41mm, but the Ibanez Japan says 54mm at the nut. Now we have a third entry. Was this an actual measurement?

4. hm.....i think the website (the 41) is mislinked and is actually the dimensions of the 4-string, since the two are identical, and it doesn't make sense for the 4 and 6 to be the same width, when the 5 is wider.

i think 54 may be total width, and 45 may be string width. of course, that leaves 4.5 mm unused nut on either side of the strings. that seems like a bit much......

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    both of those are at the string (got out my silver artsy-fartsy ruler just to be sure)

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    and yes.. 4.5 on the B and C (tho B looks closer to 5, and C closer to 4)

7. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002

Eeeeh, 6 strings => 5 spaces I thought.

8. Yep, that should be 18mm at the bridge.

And if the spacing is 45 mm at the bridge on a 6, remind me never to play it. 54mm sounds much more reasonable.

Geoff

9. no, the distance from B to C at the nut is 45 mm, leaving 9 mm between strings, and the neck and fretboard are 54 mm wide, leaving about 4 or 5 mm on either side of the outer strings.

at the bridge, the space from B to C is 90 mm, leaving 18 mm between strings.

thanks a lot.

10. Yes exaclty, and that is how spacing is measured at the nut. It isn't measured as the distance from the centre of one string to the bottom (in this case B to C) but it is the width of the neck at the nut like you said. So, we are both correct I guess.

Geoff

Edit: the 9mm extra width includes half the width of the B and C string, and likely would only be about 2mm, so you would only have about 7mm actually left over which is slightly more than 1/8" on either side, which is typical.

11. true. now it sounds right. i've been over it in my head for the last few days and i couldn't figure it out. i tried out the bass and loved it. it felt great. i'm using it as a model for the neck of the bass i plan to build this summer, and the bass in the store is a half hour from where i live. that's why i'm trying to get exact measurements......