1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BTB845V tune BEADG? Can I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChrisValentine, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Go for it! (BTB845V)

100.0%
  2. Stick with the BTB775pb, n00b.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ChrisValentine

ChrisValentine

Jun 25, 2018
    Hey folks,

First poster here... finally. Don't know if I'm in the right forum topic, but I'm checking out this sick new BTB845V at the local shop, but just found out it's made for EADGC tuning.

Can I tune it to BEADG with heavy gauge strings? Or is that ill-advised. I was totally diggin' the feel of the neck and fretboard. The ramp was legit.

Please hook me up with some real answers. I'm pretty sure it can be done, but will it turn out to be an abomination?
    Will the B flop ridiculously? Or be mud?

I'm semi-new to the 5-String, but a solid player. I have a BTB775pb and am wondering if this would be an upgrade/downgrade? Or just different.

Sorry for the long post. Would appreciate some veteran advice, especially on the luthier side.
    20180625_194954.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    It would be hardly noticeable with a slight setup tweak and 130 or 135 B string.

I have wanted to do this for a while myself, but I wish the bass had wider string spacing.

ChrisValentine likes this.
  3. ChrisValentine

ChrisValentine

Jun 25, 2018
    Thanks Sid. I dig that tight spacing and thin neck.

You don't think the short(er) scale (33") will affect intonation? Or fretbuzz driving me insane?
    ...but that's what luthiers are for I guess...
    [Dumb question, but could the zero fret maybe help with this in some way, shape, or form?]

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You'l need some work on the nut to fit heavier gauge strings, but if chosen properly, the tension on the neck will be about the same, perhaps even lower with beadg strings.

5. Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Fret buzz can be handled a number of ways, most are setup and technique related.

I have owned 30” 6 string basses and the B string tension was just fine. Maybe not as defined as a longer scale, but not different enough to be bad. 33” is not far off from 34”. The difference will be minor.

6. ChrisValentine

ChrisValentine

Jun 25, 2018
    When you say not as "defined" what do you mean exactly? More mud? The B string is kind of a new animal to me. I don't know if I want to trade in the 775 just to start experimenting, but I just loved the feel so much more. If only I had a grand layin around...

7. Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    When you go buy that beautiful bass could you do me a favor? Play that thin hollow body LTD (far left in your pic, half of it anyway) and give me a report back! One of those is on my radar, but I haven’t seen one in the wild yet.

8. Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Really I am talking about the timbre of the B string. The longer scale gives the B more of a ringing sound and it produces more harmonics, while being physically tighter. Shortening the scale length tends to sweeten the sound of the higher strings, so having long scale for the B alone is kinda putting the cart before the horse. This is something all 5 string players deal with at some point.

A cheap and easy way to test if you would like the B string sound at 33” would be to try a capo on the first fret of your current BTB and tune it to B. This will replicate fairly close to what a 33” scale BTB will sound and feel like.

9. ChrisValentine

ChrisValentine

Jun 25, 2018
    Awesome. Will definitely try that out! Thanks brother. What kind of rig do you play through? I'll plug that hollow body in and give you a report. It was fretless though, in case you were looking for a fretted. It felt smooth but I didn't plug it in.

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I am doing this. My BTB845V is presently with my luthier. Will report when he gets it done, probably late January. In the meantime, if you want to see what the low B sounds like on this instrument, there are YouTube videos on the sister bass, the 6-string BTB846V:

And with changed pickups:

I routinely tune my low B string to C, so I anticipate being able to use a "standard" 130-gauge string with no issues.