1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bubinga fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by arncliffe, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Hi there)
    I`m about to finish a neck, and a bit confused, what to do with bubinga fretted fingerboard....true oil, any other oil, or leave it raw?
    Thanks.

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I would just use lemon oil to keep it from drying out, otherwise leave it unfinished.

Another oil that I have found to work really well ir burmese teak oil.

3. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have used Bubinga several times for fingerboards I really like it. You can do any of thoes things with it. I sand down to 800 then either use CA glue to fill in the pores and re-800 it or I have used lemon oil on it............t

4. Thanks for replays)
    So, true oil and tung oil`s a no-go for fretboard..

5. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    What about boiled linseed oil?

6. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am not saying they are a no go, I just have never done it.........t

7. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    call it ignorance
    I use CA glue on cracks but
    why would you fill in the pores with it?
    wont that change the dynamic of sound resonance it produces? (i guess it mainly depends on how much you use?)

??

8. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    Once i used CA on bass that had (to me) too porous fboard and i liked the result. When you think it (and do it) more as an impregnation and not a coating, it will not signitifically change sound, maybe just the fretless can be a little bit brighter.. most of it you remove with the sandpaper.

9. Bubinga has pretty big pores that will collect dirt if you don't fill them with something.

A few thin coats of Tru Oil would be fine for a fingerboard so long as they soak in, but it is not that hard of a finish so if you let it build, you'll be wearing through it with the strings.