Bubinga Neck ? why not ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by godoze, Nov 19, 2002.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Today I came across a sawmill that happens to have about 80 board feet of 15 year old air dried Bubinga. Immediately I though about the possibilities of making a neck out of this (with maple stringers.) any thoughts on this ? Ever seen a Bubinga neck ? I know i hvae seen Bubinga stringers in many necks.
    I already have my neck blank glued up and ready to go (maple and purple heart) but hey why not ?:)
  2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    I am making a few necks right now out of quarter sawn bubinga and I don't see any problems using it.

3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    it's awful heavy.

And not stiff enough to compensate for the weight.
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Warmoth makes them for the Geckos...
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I've made a bubinga/maple neck. It was heavy, but otherwise it was a fine neck.

I probably wouldn't make another one, just because it's heavy and hard on tools, and because I have an excellent source for maple and wenge.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Matt, who is your maple source ?
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

sorry...i just couldn't resist...i've played one of the bubinga necked geckos, and it was quite nice. seeing as how i'm on my 4th warwick thumb, the neck heaviness was hardly an issue ;)
  8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I've got a local place in Greenfield, MA that stocks and grades good hard maple. I go straight for the "Quality Special" bin and pull all the perfectly flatsawn, straight boards I can find, which is usually enough for at least 3 or 4 necks. Sometimes there is good stuff in the Q1 and Q2 bins, too, but I usually don't even need to bother.

I don't think they ship small batches, but if you're in the MA area, I'll hook you up with them. They also have stellar walnut, sapele, and mahogany, among other stuff.
  9. hey ffb can u pm me or post were that place is.i live in mass and iam thinking of making a bass for the hell of it.
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    My Hanewinckel has a bubinga neck. Yep, it's heavy, but so is the body (padauk w/ ebony top), so it balances OK.

Pete said in his experience it sounded like maple in the neck. I could believe that - my bass has fairly pronounced mids but I'm not sure what's the neck, what's the body, and what's the pickups (Bartolini).