1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bubinga P or Jazz Bass, anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by -=DanAtkinson=-, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Anyone ever build a P or J bass out of solid bubinga? I've never built anything with it. It's been tempting me. I know it will be heavy, but that's what wide straps are for. :bassist:

2. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Warwick Corvettes are kinda like a Bubinga J.

3. Sort of. But I'm looking to build a true P or J.

Specifically a P, most likely. Never seen a bubinga P.

4. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    make a bulbinga P/J with P body!

5. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    That would be amazing. I bet over 11lbs tho

6. baskruit

baskruit

Oct 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Actually, I have. Or at least the body.

I made the body myself from a big slab of bubinga. The neck is wenge/pau ferro, made by Warmoth.

Heavy? YES! The bass weighed somewhere between 12 and 13 lbs IIRC.

In fact, I found it a bit too heavy so currently the neck is paired with a Squier body... Loved the whole process of building the body though. Very gratifying. It's been the first and so far only body that I made but I'm sure more will follow in the future.

Attached Files:

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'd rock a bubinga P. If you did one with a wenge fingerboard it would be awesome- like the P bass Warwick never made!

8. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Sounds extremely interesting.

This is my thought process...
    (DISCLAIMER : Everything here is my OPINION, so YMMV)

Pickups literally "pick up" certain frequency ranges, yes? Tonewoods (yes, loaded term, I know) OTOH, allow the bridge and strings to vibrate in a certain frequency range.

The aim then, would be to choose a pickup that accentuates the best qualities of a certain tonewood, or to choose a "bright" pickup to bring a little sparkle to a "warmer" wood (and conversely a "thuddier" pickup to a bright wood).

With that in mind, I want to examine this combo :D

Bubinga has nice strong, tight lows, bright midrange, and muted highs that still have some snap. P pickups, of course, are known for their low-mid thumpy character. I feel like that combo would be strong in the lows and kind of bright in the midrange for a P bass...certainly unique, it will be a powerful, forward sound. I hope you make the bass and I'd love to hear how it turns out! A J pickup would be 'better suited' to a Bubinga body, which would also actually lend a lot of tightness to the usually airy low end of J pickups. This would most likely be a true "J on 'roids" sound.

As one of my professors used to say: Questions, comments, concerns? :D

9. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    Ever use Padauk ? I have a custom built made from it. It sounds great. And it's light.

10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    How light?

11. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    What about hollowing out underneath the pick guard to bring the weight down to reasonable? I can't even think about wearing something that heavy without make a chiro appointment.

12. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    A DA bubinga PJ then!

13. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    Jallenbass--- my custom Padauk bass is around 7 lbs-- but that is partially because it's an inch thick. That's it--the body is one inch in thickness. The bass is two pieces(neck and body are carved together) with a wenge runner and a flame top . The whole guitar has binding. It's a full size bass and it reminds me of the weight of my Dano Longhorn! Not as light as the Dano but when you pick it up it's like "wow" this thing is light.

14. my ibanez sr1300 is bubinga and it's a pj setup

15. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I had 3 amazing Warwick corvette, the body is so small compare to a jazz or a P. My lightest corvette was 10.5 lbs, the heaviest one was 12.5 lbs.

I STRONGLY suggest you'll do a chambered body.

I never liked any Alnico V pickups with my corvettes, the only one that sounded as good or better than the stock MEC were the Delano HE or JMVC series...IMHO

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Id do dinky P or J body for bubinga due to woods weight.

17. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    That was my other thought. No reason for a strong wood to be 1 3/4" thick. Too me anyway.

18. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Could you do a semi-hollow? That might offset the weight.

I really like the bubinga fingerboards on my Rics but that doesn't translate into much knowledge about the wood in body material. I used to own an Ibanez Artcore gui****, and it was bubinga (semihollow) and sounded friggin' great. Still got tired of it, simply because it had six tiny strings.

I have wanted to buy one of your P Basses and a bubinga-made one would be tops on my list, I think. I have actually wanted to make a P Bass with similar materials that Rickenbacker uses (body and fingerboard woods, etc.).

19. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    John- yeh the padauk is strong and has an open grain to it. The pickups are not really adjustable-- but that's okay they don't need to be any closer to the strings. In fact the pu screws are cut shorter. It has Jazz pick ups. Ebony fb too. I could talk a long time about it. It's a one of a kind.

20. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    QUOTE: I'd rock a bubinga P. If you did one with a wenge fingerboard it would be awesome- like the P bass Warwick never made!

Wouldn't that be a show-stopper? How about a Bubinga P, Wenge FB, Ovangkol neck, black hardware, and a custom decal that "looked" like the Warwick logo?

That would cause some bassist's heads to explode, LOL!!!