1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BUBINGA-To cut or to not- solid body or lam?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by smudgel, Aug 30, 2007.

1. smudgel

smudgel

Oct 5, 2006
    I just bought this awsomw piece of Bubinga. And I don't know weather to use it as a one piece body or cut it up. I could easily get two bookmatched top set and two back sets. Also I'm not sure what core wood to use if I cut it up? I was thinkinh Maple or Mahogany, or maybe Walnut? All with completely different sounds, but which would work best with the Bubinga. Bubinga has a ton of sustain, bright mids and highs, and a solid low end.

I bought the piece on the right.

Attached Files:

2. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I think it makes more sense to cut it - you make many basses w/ that wood, as opposed to just one.

3. smudgel

smudgel

Oct 5, 2006
    What would you use for the core wood?

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Something light, if you are going to hse that as a top and back both... I'd probably go with something like Spanish Cedar (super light weight) or swamp ash (lighter than most) to counteract the weight of the bubinga.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    If the back is as pretty as the front cut it up for sure..Very nice piece it must have cost a pretty penny...t

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I'll provide a slightly opposing opinion.....cut 1 and do one as a 1 piece body. How many 1 piece, Waterfall Bubinga bodies have you ever seen??? Would be a very uncommon piece.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida

I think he only has the one on the right. Not sure how thick it is though....t

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Cut it and get as many tops as you can (within reason). Put it on a lightweight core/back. Why not start with mahogany and do walnut on the second one?

9. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    1-piece! You only live once! and it could be a good excuse to make YOURSELF a bass. (I saw that beauty on the Gilmer site).

10. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Cut it and use some mahogany (you would have to check the weight of the mix) or walnut and use some maple or whitish veneer to add some contrast.

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida

That site drives me nuts. 80% of the wood on the site is sold. The neck blanks don't mention if they are 1/4 sawn or flat sawn. If you are going to have a web site keep it up to date. :rollno:

Sorry about the rant but I see that way too much.....t

12. Cut it into several nice tops!!!!!!! Using it for one bass is a waste of beautiful lumber. Besides, bubinga is often really heavy when used as a core wood. Unfigured bubinga could be used as a core if really desired.

I haven't seen a chunk of bubinga that gorgeous before.

13. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

+1

They have various rare woods on their site that I've inquired about, only to find them long since sold.

14. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Wow that's the most beautiful piece of bubinga I ever saw!

I'd cut it for tops. For body woods... anything is good. Mahogany, alder, cherry, swamp ash, walnut... even poplar if you are putting a back plate on (poplar is a but drab to look at but sounds great for bass.

15. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Gilmer is annoying, I don't even go to their site anymore, it's always a tease...LMAO

16. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Yeah, I would probably re-saw it for tops. But it depends a bit on the exact size of the block.

17. Damn beautyfull bubinga
    i would use it as top, and mahogany or bubinga as core :)

18. I personally don't mind a heavy instrument, but a lot of folks do....a 1-piece body from that stuff will weigh a ton.

Go with something that has a reddish tint; mahogany or even padauk (but I'd chamber the padauk, its also heavy).

19. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    I would have to disagree, it would be heavier than the 8 lb bass everyone plays these days, but I have a solid Bubinga bodied neck through in the works, and it is going to come in about 10.5 - 11 lbs......not too awful bad, to me.

20. Halve it on the thickness, and use it as core body wood with clear acrylic top and back.

:bassist: