Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BucketHead anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Does anyone here listin to buckethead. His music is definitly odd, in a good way. I know he has ton of albums and has tons of other songs. I noticed on some of his stuff the bass guitars are pretty good. Does anyone know who has plays bass with this guy, it sounds like multiple people have?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    les claypool for one.

3. Yep. Taking in account those who have played alongside Buckethead, I doubt you'll find better than Les.

4. The only album I've heard from him is Monsters And Robots, and it featured Les on bass and vocals, and I think it was Brain on the drums.

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I'm only familiar w/ b-head from the bonnaroo 2002 dvd, bucket of bernie brains--man, he really rips it up on that track! I've looked at his web site--pretty twisted. I noticed last night on the tonight show, jay had 2 soccer moms at the grammys, and several times they showed footage w/ b-head in it! schweeet!

Knowing how I enjoyed bernie brains(but can't stand les's "singing") any disc suggestions for b-head?

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Laswell and Claypool are two. He used to play in the SF Bay area quite a bit.

7. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

Check out his work with Praxis ("Transmutation", "Sacrifist", "Transmutation Live",etc)

Also his other solo albums and anything under his alias "Death Cube K". Search the DMG site http://www.downtownmusicgallery.com

8. I like Buckethead a lot. I've heard some of the Praxis stuff....it's interesting, not the kind of thing I'd listen to in the car, but it's fun to check out every once in a while.

Heck, I even liked his appearance with Guns 'n Roses on MTV a coulpe years ago :)

9. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Does anyone know who he is ? or was ? I figure he was a metal guy from the late 80's. maybe Paul Gilbert of Racer X
    & Mr.Big ? Any idea's ?

10. Yeah, it was cool, but damn, Axl Rose sucked!!! :spit:

Actually, I think he's Chet Atkins. :ninja:

Seriously, maybe he's not even a well-known guy, y' know...

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Paul denies it...and so does Buckethead...

http://www.bingeandgrab.com/bucketfaq.html

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, he's no one famous from an early time. He's only famous as buckethead. If you look hard enough you'll come across an older article out there on the net that reveals some personal details about him. Basically he's just a private guy that wants to keep his personal life personal.

brad cook

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    buckethead is the ****. he's a really well rounded guitarist. i'd listen to him equally to a lot of things, crazy guitar solo's, metal, rock, funky ****, it is all awsome. i have a lot of his stuff also.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Soto, please read the new poilcy on language. No big deal, but all profane words must be completely masked by *&^#%$, leaving it painfully obvious does nothing to hide the word.

15. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    ok, my bad man. i didn't know that it had to be all of the word.
    :p.

16. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    yeah, Buckethead is very cool. His albums can take you to other worlds. You won't exactly understand what's going on in those world but, hey, you're there dude. His stuff is kinda like metal guitar opera (if there isn't such a thing, there is now).
    On Giant Robot he does some work with Bootsy Collins, baby. Then again on other albums he just overlays and play the bass himself.
    I saw him with Bootsy Collins being interviewed by Joan Rivers. Of course buckethead rarely talks, so Bootsy had to do most of the talking, which I'm sure was no problem at all.

17. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I know exactly who Buckethead is. I believe he grew up in San Dimas, CA ((Think Bill & Ted)) . His name is Brian Caroll (sp). His father is the coach of a sports team at Damien High School in SD. His teacher was Pebber Brown fro styles music (my old teacher :p ), he took lessons for 7 years. He is a completely normal guy, and I am pretty sure I saw him w/o his mast and bucket.

When I saw him play, it was a free concert with his band the Deli Creeps. That was a REALLY odd show

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  19. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have seen Buckethead a number of times with a number of different groups at the Maritime Hall in The City (that's San Francisco for those outside of the Bay Area). As a guitarist, he is a very innovative individual. As a bassist, he is quite interesting. I was pretty sure that he was my friend Matt Blackett from Luce Band. I may be wrong, but it is fun to speculate. I wonder about the bucket? It's always a KFC bucket. Does he have an endorsement? Does he wear a Popeye's bucket in the South? Does chicken fat make his hair silky smooth? I can't look at his hat without wondering about where he puts the side dishes.

:p

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, he's not your friend Matt Blackett. Hateater has it right.

brad cook