Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BUCKETHEAD-Giant Robot

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Artist, Sep 24, 2004.

1. WOW!
    I just got the Buckethead album "Giant Robot" off Ebay.
    What a wierd masterpeace. It kind of reminds me of Jeff Wayne's musical version of H.G. Wells book "The War of the Worlds" (in a way).

Anyone else?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I prefer Monsters and Robots over Giant Robot. I really want to hear Population Override. I hear that is excellent.

brad cook

3. It's my first Buckethead CD. (well actualy my first was some german band with the same name, damn ebay)
    I'm waiting for the album Colma, (allso of ebay, I think I'm addicted, but it's the only place where I can get CD's like that) Monsters and Robots will be next, when I find it.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you like that, and dig weird, you might want to check out his alter ego (some say nemesis) Death Cube K. It's Buckethead, but all ambient stuff, and extremely dark and weird and wonderful.

Death Cube K is an amalagram for Buckethead, by the way.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Colma is COMPLETELY different than Giant Robot and Monsters and Robots. There is no shredding on this album. It's more slow and beautiful almost ambient kind of stuff. You have to be in the right mood to listen to it but it's nice. If you're expecting shred though you'll probably be disappointed. It really is a vast departure from his other albums. It actually verges on new agey sounding at times.

brad cook

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've got a Death Cube K CD around here somewhere...I need to pull it out. I can't even remember what it was like.

brad cook

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Amalagram? Is that like . . . an amalgam of "amalgam" and "anagram"? OMG, self-reference! :eek:

8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Buckethead is crazy. He's in the realm of Primus style mayham.

Check out his cobra strike and praxis stuff too, it's fun. Colma is a Bucketheads equivilant to a acoustic album if I say so. I'm convinced he made that album on downers.

9. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have seen him live two times- once with the Deli Creeps, and once with Brain and a bassist. he has a great presence, and to clear things up, he was raised in L.A. County, not a damn chicken farm.

10. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I saw Buckethead live once in San Francisco once with Praxis - the lineup that night was Buckethead, Brain, Bill Laswell, and one of the turntablists from Invisibl Scratch Pickles.

A really really REALLY good album is Arc of the Testimony by Arcana - one of the last albums that Tony Williams (on drums) made, also featuring Bill Laswell and Pharaoh Sanders. I saw this as the future of metal when it came out back in 1997, but I haven't seen it followed up, not least because of Tony Williams's untimely death. Definitely grab this album if you find it...

11. Looking forward to it, typicly- it's not here yet...
    As long as it's as wierd, I'm a hardcore Les Claypool fan, so it's just down my alley.

Does anyone else know the "War of the worlds" music interpretion?
    ...people that listn to buckethead prob. don't...
    I only know it from my dad

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I wouldn't call it weird and the sound isn't reminiscent of Les in any way.

brad cook

13. Koo Koo clocks from hell is really good. Just saw him here in ATL at the Variety Playhouse. If you think his music is interesting, or weird, you should go to a show. At one point he was handing toys out to the audience. He did his famous knum chuck dance, had an elastic strap that worked really well flexing up and down to his wah, and actually looks like a robot when he plays. It looks as if he's doing the robot while he's playing guitar. His show was awesome. Not to mention the playing was out of this world. Anyway, I'm going tomorrow to see Bernie Brains (the new Les Claypool thing). Should be cool.

14. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

I think it was Q*bert... BH was in wave twisters, so I figure that they have a relationship.

15. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    For a while all of Invisible Scratch Pickles were playing with Praxis - 1997 I think...

Found a Buckethead discography here.

At the show I saw, just the turntablist and Brain came out for an encore, and the turntablist (whoever he was) set his turntable on fire... :eek:

16. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Q*bert and Praxis in one show..... I am jealous.