Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buckeye and others...is the trend over?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marlat, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay, would be interested in hearing from the dealers / luthiers out there on this one, but it seems to me that a couple of the big trends from 2002/2003 seems to have died out a little bit. Namely:

1. Buckeye tops...I seem to be seeing a lot less of these now on new purchases (Bass Central seems to have a large stock of buckeye toppped Fodera's for example), but I arn't hearing about many new orders of buckeye tops. Tops seem to be getting simpler (ie back to more basic flame / quilted woods). Are the uber complicated tops going the way of big hair and spandex? I guess splat tops could also be included in this.

2. Single Cuts...they seem to have had a real renaissance the last 12 months or so, but I think im seeing a lot more custom orders going back to double cut basses.

On the other hand, the new "trend" (if I could call it that) seems to be a real upturn in "new" electronics packages / custom pickups etc.

Thoughts?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Never dug the look much, I've always been an ash man

Again, never my thing... but I'm being swayed by a bolt-neck single cut. I'm looking to add a second 6 string fretless to the ranks next year and I might have to jump out of vintage to one.

wasn't dimarzio & Alembic & darkstar, etc making custom electronics and pickups in the early 70s??? no new trend, maybe you've just caught that bug
    :smug:

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I should clarify, I meant there seems to be a lot of third party and proprietary electronics packages / pickups finding themselves into custom basses that just weren't available a few years ago:

ie. Aguilar / John East / Nordstrand pickups etc. People seem to be experimenting a lot more these days....or is it just me :)

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    just you... I see them as a continuation of the ones I mentioned. nothing earthshattering about Aggie/JE/Nord... just high quality electronics guys.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Based on my view, both singlecuts and buckeye burl tops are still doing well. Buckeye may be slowing down a bit across the board, but for those who are best known for buckeye (Fodera, Benavente, etc.), they still seem to be popular and selling well. I think if there's a downturn in buckeye, it would be with other builders who "dabbled" with the wood a bit. Plus, once everyone gets in the game, the good sources start to dry up and prices start to climb.

As for singlecuts, I think that they're still as popular as ever. Keep in mind that there will always be a lag even if something starts to lose popularity, as the general 3-12 month build time for most high-end builders means that no trend can really come or go overnight. A guy who placed his singlecut/buckeye order 6 months ago might still be waiting on that bass! ;)

In general, I see so much variety that I don't feel any strong trends at all...with respect to options, body styles, things gaining in popularity, other aspects declining in popularity. As soon as you think you've sold your last jazz-style bass, you sell two, and as soon as you think you can't possibly keep up with the demand for fretless 5-strings or basses with quilt maple tops, one will sit for a while. :smug: It's fun to think about, though. Good topic! :D

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I just dropped a deposit with Chris Stambaugh for a single-cut that may have a buckeye top before all's said and done... So no, the "trend" hasn't died out yet..

;)

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got a buckeye-topped singlecut and would like to get another in fretless someday, so I'm still down with it as well.

I have seen a little less buckeye lately, but I've also seen an uprising of "one-off" woods-tops that are really unique unto themselves. Maybe there's as much buckeye out there as before, and just more of the other stuff coming out.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    A little while back, I was thinking the exact same thing that there don't seem to be as many SC's and Buckeye Burl tops being buil on new customs, but I suppose that there is still a decent demand for both. It's not like you don't see either being built anymore, just the frequency has dropped a bit.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I guess we bass players are as susceptable to fashion trends as the next group...particuarly with sites like TB to share our GAS on. Like it seems the "crazy" in your face tops of the last few years have been wound back in favour of more conservative pieces in the majority of recent orders i've seen posted on TB.

I think you can get a pretty good idea of the trends by looking at the stock pages on the large bass stores (ie Bass NW / Central) and seeing what they have ordered lots of and what isn't moving!

10. Me and my Wishbass...we're trend setters! :D

Wishbass "The Shape of things to come....as soon as we can figure out what in the #$%^ that is!" :help:

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    While I can appreciate SC's, even if my career path took me to being a musician full time, I MIGHT own one,,, but I doubt I'd use one as one of my primary items.

However, I thoroughly LOVE the look of Buckeye Burl... Maybe its psycho-semantic, because I'm an Ohio State fan... But, IMHO, they're simply gorgeous...

12. well ive never been into anything like buckeye maple...
    personally i prefer the darker woods, cocobolo, walnut, mahogany, ebony....
    i did have a bit of a fad with singlecuts but i do prefer double cuts...

electronics and pickups? alembic and joe barden pickups, kubicki electronics and the alembic epic and mark king electronics..

mentioning mark king alembic...i want..i played one yesteray...abuot twice as long as the other alembics that were staring me in the face, including a 30" scale series 1 that was setup piccolo

13. damn.....i thinking of burl maple :rolleyes: ...im tooooo tiirrrreeeeddd

14. And here I am liking paint jobs.... :)

I just don't dig either categories at all. I think the Singlecut looks cumersone and unproportionate, and the buckeye just looks way too busy.

I like clean, sleek, attractive lines...not the equivalent of a spirograph from 20 paces...

Just me folks...

15. like a bahama green kubicki :D

16. No offense intended, just being light in this comparo...

some fanatics see an image of Mary in a soap streaked window or a piece of bread, all I see is swirl vomit in buckeye...

but naw, not a Kubicki fan.... :D

17. i am :D ...but an alembic mark king sig made me question my faith for a seccond yesterday..but then i realised...how big my head would be if i owned my kubicki and an alembic mark king sig.. :D which is 98% gonna be my next child

18. Tho they DO play wonderful, and are a tad more comfy being 32" scale....

Just that body shape....

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

So, what youa re saying then, is that you'll start posting "Alembic Mark King Sig" in every one of your posts in addition to Kubicki Kubicki Kubicki regardless of whether it's thread apporpriate, or not. Can't wait. :meh: