Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buckeye basses? Ya or Na

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cliff Bordwell, Apr 16, 2005.

Buckeye, Ya or Na?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2005.
  1. Ya! I dig Buckeye basses.

111 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. Na! I could do without.

71 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Do you dig Buckeye basses?
    Here is a great looking Buckeye Fbass!
    [​IMG]

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I dig . . . I dig very much.

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

It really depends. Fodera has some killer stuff. My favorite buckeye bass was my old Garrison. That F bass above is pretty cool too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi Cliff,

I really do dig them alot. I'm wondering what they would look like without the gloss coat...you know, with a more natural finish? I haven't seen one yet, though I'm sure they're out there.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love the look of Buckeye Basses. I like the look of tons of other wood combos too, but there is something nice about a Buckeye Bass, just something very exotic.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I could care less, either way. I've seen some I like, but most I don't. Tonally, Buckeye is useless.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Which is why you don't see bodies made out of it. :rolleyes:

8. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I love buckeye, especially the foderas

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I love it-it's my favorite top wood.

My Elrick has a natural finish on buckeye-look in this thread if you'd like to see pics of it.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

11. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Nice! You know, it's not that I don't like the look of the gloss...I just really like the look and feel of a nice, clean cut of wood.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, i really like how the green in the top goes with the maple fingerboard.

13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i like 98% of the buckeyes ive seen , so yes.

also i agree with the less gloss comment .

that fodera is beautiful , notice how it isnt glossy ? :D

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    And??? :eyebrow:

15. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    you know....i cant really dig it....maybe its the fact that i think that simplicity can be more beautiful than this complicated piece of work (art speaking) and when i see buckeye burl....or any sort of burl....its too much to look at...its got this weird tye died effect and i just cant dig it...i dunno...maybe im crazy

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That looks so wrong... the über-traditional-J-bass shape and Fender-style headstock with a top like on Foderas... :smug:
    That is a nice piece of buckeye, but some can be overdone. And I'm not really liking the greenish tint of some, that vivid orange-ish like on the Sad is much more pleasant, IMO. Though it looks like it's really-really thin. :eyebrow: Fot that much they could at least put a nicefull-size top on it :p

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Can't stand the look, personally, but that's just me. I can see why many would dig the look. I just tend toward a more "traditional" look.

In my mind, there are few basses more beautiful than an old Fender Jazz sunburst. Again, that's just me.

18. It is really thin. That's the way I prefer buckeye so it does not interfere with the tona of the instrument. Buckeye burl has the tonal properties of cork! :)

I've played basses with thick buckeye tops that are tonally lacking. I want to think it is the buckeye damping the tonewood, but I'll leave the physics to someone who actually has a clue!

Jeff

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Another reason I don't want a buckeye-bass :)