1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buckeye beauty 11

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trb6pJM2, Aug 15, 2007.

1. This bass, is simply amazing. Does anybody have any pictures or specs? lol late night posting, it's a bad habit
    4xo6lvq.
    6250a9z.

2. i'll ask the first stupid question...how is this monster strung?

3. Don't feel stupid, it's a valid quechon.
    I believe its C# (kinda superfluous, but some say it sounds pretty cool.)F#,B,E,A,D,G,C,F,Bb,Eb

4. Mechanical Mind

Mechanical Mind

Mar 30, 2007
    MN
    It seems like one could easily become lost on a fretboard that large. But, damn it sure is nice lookin'.

5. Benavente SCB 11 String
    th_CaldwellBene.
    th_caldwellbene3.
    th_caldwellbene2.

6. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    if you don't get lost on a piano then you won't get so easly lost on this monster

7. Mechanical Mind

Mechanical Mind

Mar 30, 2007
    MN
    A piano only has 88 keys, this has 264 positions. Plus on a piano, I know what note each key is by its position. Pick a random note on a piano I know what it is right away. Pick one on that, it might take me a while to figure out. I assume you would learn your way around it though.

I really like your band, very impressive. I am not a very experience musician (bass 3-years, guitar-1, drums-8 months) but in all the time i've played, i always get thrown off by odd time signatures. They just don't sound right to me, and it messes with my head when i play them. I sould try practicing more.

8. woah, lol, i just noticed, its a neckthrough, it looks totally set, but look at the upper horn on that back picture that caeser posted. wow, thats so weird.

9. I like the second picture of the first post:

"Tower we are on approach with landing gears down." :) :eek: :eyebrow: :ninja:

10. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Workmanship - yes
    Guitar itself - no

I don't understand why a BASS player needs three cheese wires on his instrument, cos now you're into a guitar's range. And if you want to play there, get a guitar!!

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    What if you want to play in both ranges at the same time? :ninja:

12. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    +1

I'm in a trio.. when the guitar player goes off on a solo, I find myself wishing I had more than 5 strings... (I play guitar, also, and would love to throw in some higher-pitched chord voicings every once in awhile, just to fill things out)

13. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I only play a 7 string, which is more than enough for me ;)

I too play in trio settings and I regularly play chords and unison solo lines with the guitar player .... I also use a Boomerang which allows for a looped bass line while I'm in the "cheese wire" range.

I can appreciate why someone might not want to depart from the "standard" bass playing role, but at least understand that many of us like adding to the overall voice of the band by having extended range capabilities. In the case of Mr. Caldwell, he is a gifted musician in every sense, including the "standard" bass playing role ..... :cool:

edit: BTW, I don't think this is Al's bass, but I could be wrong ....

2nd edit: Brian just answered that question below :D

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I just want to clarify, this Buckeye SCB 11 string is Roy Graley's.

Al Caldwell has a Solid White Chambered Body 11 string.

ben11st1. ben11st2.

15. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    <snickers>

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :rolleyes: Just because some players don't have the ability or imagination to understand it, doesn't make it wrong.

apologies to EddieG, I meant no disrespect to anyone playing 4 or 5 string basses... It's not what instrument you play, it's a matter of expression. Some players can tell stories via 4 strings that I cannot fathom / imagine / comprehend on my 7... or 6, 5 or 4 strings.

17. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    James, I have a response to your post I'd like to make. Can you tell me the best way to do it without receiving the 2 point warning you gave me last time for replying to you on the board expressing my own opinions, and then PM'ing you regarding the same?

Thanks.

18. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    That's a beautiful instrument. I'd love to check it out in person.

19. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    how many truss rods does that thing have im going to guess and say more than 2?

Maybe