1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bud LeCompte vs Hurricane Ike

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kenny Allyn, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I got a call today from Bud LeCompte, who many of you know ...

Bud is the owner of LeCompte Basses in Pearlland TX right near Houston and was pretty much in the path of the storm.

No major damage to the home or shop lots of trees down and no power for the forseeable future so no bass production for a while ...

The good news is that both Bud and Linda are fine :)

View attachment 102907

Bud LeCompte and Fred Hammon at NAMM

:) ... Bud sends his best ...

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Good luck to Bud and his family, he's a great luthier and cool guy as well.

3. lars-h

lars-h

Dec 25, 2006
    Glad to hear that.

I would like to thank Bud for his great service. He just finished my new bass. He hurried to make sure my bass would be done before the storm arrived. Thats what i call great service. Just waiting for my bass to be shipped now.

Attached Files:

4. Good luck to Bud and his family.

His basses have been very inspirational to me and he (along with many other of the great builders here at TB) are directly responsible for my new building obsession!

I hope his situation gets back to normal quickly!

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I live pretty close to Bud on the north end of Pearland and I already have my power back, so hopefully that means Bud and his shop are right behind me if the power isn't back on already.

It's definitely good he made it through ok. A lot of places in the same general area were not so lucky...

6. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Glad to hear Bud made it through the storm.

Thought that I'd post my adopted LeCompte. It was orignally built for fellow TB'er LowEndPunch. It was appropriately named 'ETOTS 6' or "Eye of the Storm"; all to do with the maple inlay between the p-ups and the marking of the claro walnut.

nm-lec6-04.

7. Oh, lars-h, about that shipping- the shop and stuff incurred no damage from the storm, so Bud was able to finish it, but the UPS truck carrying your new bass was picked up and tossed into the gulf like a matchbox truck. Sorry!

;)

8. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    He sounded pretty good even with the scratchy cell phone connection ...

He wanted to assure anyone with a bass in production that nothing was harmed ... and to let folks know they were fine

:) ... It was good to hear from him as I had tried to call him last week

9. lars-h

lars-h

Dec 25, 2006
    Hmm... its not been shipped yet.. ;-):p

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    That is easily one of my favourite basses by Bud. Wow.

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

Bud is a stand up guy to care so much about his customers waiting on a bass.

I hope everything is well and he gets back to 100% with everything ASAP.

And ThunderRitter I'm totally jealous you have EotS6.

12. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Good to hear Bud and Linny are doin fine. Many blessings to you Bud!!

13. Dang it! Was hoping you didn't point out that technicality! :ninja:

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Thanks for the update, Kenny! God's watchin' out for our Budman.
    My biggest hardship was wading through a little flash flood water to get home after doing some recording with my LeCompte. Hey, my shoes were dry when I put 'em on this morning, I can't complain...:cool:

15. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Hi folks. We're fine. As soon as the power is back on we'll get things going again. We're at my father's house tonight. They got power yesterday. One of our neighbors has power, but we have a line down to our house and a couple of other houses around us. Looks like we've fallen into low priority. We have a call in, but who knows when it'll be back. We didn't take any damage to the house, but we had lots of tree damage. We've had plenty of food and water and thank God for the cooler weather. We took a drive today and things appear to be semi-normal. Gas lines are shorter and more stores are opening.

Hope to be back at it soon.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am glad to hear that Bud and family are all doing well! That was some scary stuff, for sure. Heck, Ike hit Ohio pretty hard (Cincinnati really got nailed).

Once things calm down, I am eagerly awaiting these two lovely instruments from Bud!

danny-arnold-01.

17. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Thanks, Tom. I'm on a borrowed connection today, trying to conduct a little business. We still don't have power. Still something like 1,000,000 customers without power in the area. We got slammed! As soon as I can I'll get your basses delivered. It's just hard to finish the setups under the circumstances.

I hope the mods don't mind...but given the circumstances I'd like to offer TBer's a 10% discount until 10/12 on new orders. Just mention Hurricane Ike and Talkbass in the comments section of our quote request form and we'll apply the discount. I could really use the work. As soon as we get power we'll get cranking on the new orders.

18. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    "Bud LeCompte vs. Hurricane Ike"

What if the name of the storm was Hurricane Lecompte? :D

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Bud, don't worry about me and those basses. Get your home/shop/family squared away first. Then, take care of the other guys who are in more immediate need of a killer instrument. I have a few to tide me over. :smug: But of course I am super excited to play those two! Don't get me wrong. I'm just saying take care of the peeps who need you the most, first, and you can get to me when it calms down. :cool:

Again, I am very glad to hear that you escaped harm and any serious damage! :hyper: Though I am sad for your trees. :(

Tom.

20. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I put in a quote request to Bud about a week ago, not even thinking about the hurricane and he managed to still get back to me the following day with a reply that his shop was temporarily down. To take the time to do that amidst all the other stuff that was going on really impressed me. I hope things get back to normal ASAP for you Bud! I'll be speaking to you in the near future about my bass:D

Dan