Budda Phat Bass vs. Mesa Bottle Rocket

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hugh Jazz, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Budda Phat Bass

7 vote(s)
  2. Mesa V-1 Bottle Rocket

9 vote(s)
  3. Other (specify)

4 vote(s)
  1. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Both are overdrive pedals which use (2) 12AX7 tubes. Both have 4 knobs (gain, bass, treble, volume). Both are made by reliable companies. Both are supposed to be awesome. The only difference is that the Budda is "specifically" a bass pedal, whereas the Mesa is used by both guitarists and bassists (mainly guitarists).

So which one would you pick? Can anyone compare the sound/tone each produces?

Hugh Jazz
  2. you'll get alot more use out of one of these bad boys!!! all the dist. bass,mid,and treb .. they rock and are good for direct recording as well. hell you can bring this and your bass and go direct for live gigs if the sound man will give you alot of monitor mix.. to bad that barely ever happens!!!!!
  3. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the tip, but the question is solely concerns overdrive pedals (I know all about the SABDDI). :) ;)
  4. I have the Mesa Bottle Rocket. It's pretty cool. If you're worried about losing low end...don't be. It's got all your original bass...and then some. It works good from sounds with a bit of grit, to crunch.

Now I have a question for you to ponder. My chain currently goes Boss DF-2 Distortion to Mesa Bottle Rocket to amps. When the DF2 is in front of the Mesa, with the Mesa off, the Boss pedal sounds completely different than without the Mesa. Is this normal? I'm guessing there really is no 'true bypass' with something like this?

Anyway...get the Mesa. I like it.
  5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    My only guess to that is that it's not a true bypass....even though Mesa advertises it as one. Hmm...odd.

Anyway, check you PM's. I sent you one a while back regarding this very topic. :)
  6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    any disto sounds different in front of tubes
  7. For Bass, the Budda phatbass.!. just AB test and you`ll hear. a bit more low end on the budda...but guitarplayers use phatbass as well..
  8. just explore with different tubes, read the manual
  9. chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I had the budda phatman for a while and really loved it, kinda on the dark side of fuzz / od but really smooth. The Overdrive ELectronics Valve Grinder I had was a great compliment, brighter and nastier. The Valve Drive I had, its a big blue pedal and I forget the manufacturer atm, was very fendery, so more a preamp, but a nice studio tool.
  10. JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I own a BottleRocket, love it for recording direct.

When I use it as a OD/dirt pedal, it's a bit dark for my tastes.

Lots of low end available though.
  11. fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Taystee has posted some clips of the Bottle Rocket and it sounded great- there are some posted in threads and I believe in the effects wiki as well; I haven't used it or the Budda, but I have the English Muffn' which is a nice tube-driven pedal as well- it doesn't come with ax7's stock, but you can pop 'em in for extra crunch. It sounds great and does nice clean tones as well, and can be found for $100+ used.
  12. The DHA VT1-EQ-Bassdrive is GREAT.
    I can't speak highly enough of Dave's work and customer service! :D

The Tubeworks bluetube is also OK, but it does lose a little bit of lows. SHould you boost the bass, you'll end up boosting the low mids as the EQ is set for guitar in my experience.
  13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Here's a secret: both pedals were designed by Mesa's Dan VanRiesen, and share similar architechture. I loved my Bottle Rocket when I had one, and will have one again in the not too distant future. My favorite overdrive pedal, ever.