Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buddy Guy....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by relman, May 22, 2001.

1. ...Is coming to winnipeg, i plan to check him out. Anyone ever seen him live?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Yes, I have. He played a great blues event with Junior Wells. (This was before their split.) Koko Taylor, BB King, and some other blues notables were there too. BB King was up last. Wouldn't you just know that his band had played no more than three songs and a horrific lightening storm came up, so they closed down the concert.

Anyway, I am a big fan of Buddy Guy. But, that said, my son has seen hm several times and tells me Guy is not consistently good. Some concerts he really burns and other concerts he almost phones in his performance. If you catch him on a good night, you will be pleased.

3. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I love Buddy Guy,he came to town about two years ago.He used a real long guitar cord and came out and played in the aisle behind us.we were in the back row of the front section.I touched his guitar cord,I was just helping it around the chairs so it wouldn't get hung up;) I don't know why he does it that way instead of using a remote.I read where he used to do that back in Chicago.

4. I mixed sound for him in Bangor a couple of months ago. Great show, and he's a cool guy as well. Great band behind him.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

His shows can run hot and cold. I guess he's moody guy. Usually, though, he and his band are full on. He often tries to get the audience involved by singing along and if they don't respond, it can turn him off.

Nonetheless, Eric Clapton cites Guy as the greatest guitarist and most guitar legends are humble in his presence.

6. Boplicity

Be sure to check and see if he is using his trademark polka dotted guitar. That's kind of cool.
    I'd be curious to know who his bassist will be for the concert. Will you please give us feedback about how it was?

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I saw him in Chicago 2 years ago and have to say of all the blues shows I've seen (quite a few), this one really stood out as one of the best! He's more than just a great guitarist, but a true show man, as well! He really knows how to keep non-enthusiasts entertained for the entire night!:D

If I remember correctly, he DID come out into the audience! He must have been using a wireless, because I saw him at a large venue (Ravinia, for all you Chicagoans).

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I love his older records with Jack Myers on bass. Jack played some pretty odd lines and if you're looking for a fresh way of approaching Chicago blues bass, he's worth listening to. My personal favorite is "One Room Country Shack" from "A Man and his Blues" (Vanguard).

If you listen to Buddy and Jack on the Junior Wells album "Live at Pepper's Lounge" (Vanguard) you'll hear some wild stuff. I suspect both Jimi and Cream spent some time listening to that album!

9. Boplicity

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have either of those albums though I have several by both Guy and Wells (may he rest in peace.)

10. I'll give you feedback as soon as i come back!

11. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    That song "One Room Country Shack"got me into the blues about 30 years ago,I still listen to it regularly.Jack Meyers is the man.And Otis Span is plays some killer piano on that one as well.