1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buddy Rich is Dead...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Don Kasper, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

A saxophonist in Buddy's band calls the Manager for itinerary details for an upcoming tour and asks "What time does the bus leave?"
    The Manager says - "I'm sorry, Buddy Rich died last night, and the tour has been cancelled."
    The saxophonist calls back a week later, asking the same question...
    The Manager repeats himself - " I'm sorry, Buddy died last week, and the tour has been cancelled."
    The saxophonist calls every week for the next month, asking the same question, and gets the same answer.
    Finally, the Manager says - "Look, you call every week, and ask the same question, and I give you the same answer: BUDDY. RICH. IS. DEAD. Why do you keep calling?"
    The saxophonist replies "I guess I just like hearing it again..."

shrigg, Winoman, ahc and 3 others like this.
  2. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Ya know, I had read transcriptions of the famous "bus rant tapes" and they read as pretty horrific.

Then I listened and I came away with a somewhat different perspective. What I hear is a crusty old fart who has been doing this for-freakin-ever, and who has finally had it with a bunch of young guys jacking around on stage. That night, would it have been better if Buddy had taken a more detached, professional perspective? Yeah, probably. Sure he was irascible. Sure I would not want to get crossways with Buddy. But it didn't sound all that wild to me. I've sat through a number of orchestra conductor rants that approached Buddy's although with less profanity.

I would say, it comes with the territory.

3. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    I have no use for people with that attitude I dont care who they are I have played with many big name artists and allways give it my all but if I cant enjoy my self then what is the point just like that jerk teacher on whiplash I would have dropped him in 2 seconds.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    shrigg likes this.
  4. Man, I think is the greatest thing I've ever read on here.

shrigg and Don Kasper like this.