Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Budget = $1500

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by B. Graham, Jan 24, 2005.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Hello All,

I've read the threads on the crapola basses, and I get the picture. However, I would like to get some opinions on new bass choices with only a budget of $1500 available (plywood obviously). I know Shen has a new ply bass out (model SB80) that lists below $1500. From what I've read, I'd trust a Shen, and the service from the luthier I could buy one from. What other choices/recommendations are there in that price range?

For comparison sake, I'm currently playing a '39 Kay C-1. There's bound to be something out there that's generally = to, better than a Kay.

Thanks for tolerating my qyestion.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    the 80 has a laminated <i>maple</i> top as opposed to laminated spruce. I had in one for a bit and it was a very nice bass.

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    In that price range I would go with either an Egnelhardt ES-1, the laminated Upton Bass. But that is just my opinon. ;)

4. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    Why not stick with your Kay? :)

5. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    A couple of reasons:

The neck pitch is shallow and makes it a pain to bow. Seems to be a commonly know condition that Kay's have, from others I've talked to.

Mine was an old college bass. It's got your typical caving in top under the G foot from poor set-up (poorly fitted soundpost, bridge position, etc.).

Skinny neck.

I think that it would have a great home with a dedicated bluegrasser who didn't care about it being bowed. It would nice to not have these issues to deal with, IF I can find a suitable bass that's not starting out with these kinds of issues.

6. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Hi Bill, I grew up in the Bull City. You may already know about it, but if not, check out Bob Beerman at the Bass Violin Ship in Greensboro. Very good luthier, and over the past year he took on another luthier who has experience from David Gage's shop in NYC. Bob sells Shens, and they now have a model that I believe is in the $1500 range. Bob's website is www.bassviolinship.com and he's got his basses listed. The price on his basses includes a setup and good strings. Good luck.

7. philly

philly

Nov 20, 2004
    nyc
    hi bill,

my 2 cents. I just bought an upton laminate which is a polish made plywood bass for $1550. It really seems like a quality instrument for the money. sounds good. Setup is good. Nice ebony fittings . Good people. Check out their website for the hell of it... www.uptonbass.com. Never played a shen so i cant compare but the upton seems a notch above the englehardt. Looks pretty good too.

8. Hi ! I also own an Upton bass laminated. It is an excellent instrument. The only negative aspect I can see is that it is a little bigger than standard 3/4...

It is a loud and clear bass that you'll love ! I find the bowing sound very good for a laminated. I putted some Eurosonics on and I am learning to slap, it is very good for that too. Go to Uptonbass.com, you'll see my review of that bass, keep in mind that I wasn't paid to write it !

Keep some money for an adjustable bridge.

9. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Hey Jim.

I know Bob, he is great, and that's where I saw a pic of the Shen SB80. Hope to get by there sometime next week to try it out. He doesn't have much info about the bass on his site i.e. board material, etc.

Thanks.

10. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    The Upton's look nice, and from the reviews and reputation of that shop, I'd trust the bass to be a good one. I don't mind the size. I'd actually prefer something a little bigger than the Kay.

Thanks.

11. philly

philly

Nov 20, 2004
    nyc
    they actually sell two sizes now-same bass , one with a larger top bout. I have the smaller one and its easy to play and sounds great but if you dont mind the larger one I thought it was a touch louder. also-adjustable bridge was included in the price..they usually put obligatos on them although they put different strings on at my request.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I can put you in touch with someone that owns an SB80 if you are insterested in getting opinions on sound and build.

13. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Very helpful. Thanks. It would be great to find one close to play, but I imagine it's still a safe bet that the instrument would be just fine for me.