1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Budget 1x15 Options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Glosoli, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Glosoli

Glosoli

Dec 28, 2011
    Lewiston, ID
    I'm building my first rig.
    Currently playing in a very loud Sludge/Doom band, but using my PA (1x18, 2 towers (2x15+horn)) to play bass through.

I've settled on either a Carvin BX1500 or Ampeg B-4R for my head unit. Now I need to narrow my choice down for cabinets!

It seems like most suggestions go toward custom cabs (Fearful) or very high end brands (Berg, Markbass, etc), but I can't afford those options. My cabinet budget is $400.

I live in Idaho, so picking up a super slick deal on a Sunn or Ampeg fridge doesn't happen. The nearest Guitar Center is over 2 hours away. The best advice I always hear is to test it out and see what your ears say, but I can't in my situation.

Currently in stock:
    Peavey 115BX (200w) No BW badges $100-150
    Peavey 215D (500w) No BW badge $200
    Ampeg BSE 115 (200w) $125-200
    Ampeg SVT 115-E (200w) $190-250
    Ampeg SVT 215-E (400w) Damaged Tolex, no Speakon $300
    Eden D115/D115T (200w) $200
    Eden D115XLT (400w) Only 1 in stock $250
    SWR Workingman 115T (200w) $200
    Hartke 215XL (400w) $300

These models and prices are taken from Guitar Center Used. I'm assuming I'm going to have to run at least 2x15 (2-1x15 cabs). I've heard that 15'' is the gold standard for low tuned heavy metal and I have no experience with 10'' or 12'' bass speakers.

I'm open to taking the 4x10 or 2x12 or a mix|match of options if it means getting a better sound for my budget point.
    My guitarists will eventually be running 50w tube heads into 2-4x12 cabinets. I'll be using some overdrive (Big Muff, Rat).
    We play in C standard.

2. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    What about a 15/6 with no tweeter? It would bring the build cost down. If you're building it yourself you may be able to buy one sheet of wood and get both cabs from it, which would be a nice bonus.

3. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    Check out the Avatar website. They have cabs in within your budget! They're also in Idaho!

4. Me too dude. I just ordered a Carvin BR115 to see what they are all about with plans to order a second one. I needed something lighter as my back has been having issues lately and it's only 52 lbs (fearful kit from speakerhardware was quoted at 60 lbs). I'll be happy to let you know what I think if you care to hear about it.

I was running a Yamaha 2x15" cab that looked like a Sunn. I would recommend those if weight is not an issue. PM me and I'll be happy to show you pics and whatever else you need to know.

It's kinda weird that another person is in the quasi-same boat.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Try to find out what speakers are in the Peavey 215D, people have a habit of taking the badges off.

Don't limit yourself to 15's, list everything in your price range.

Permanently disable at least one of your gui****s cabs....that's just stupid.

6. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    If those wattage ratings are true on the Peaveys they are Scorpions. BWs are 350 Watt, Scorpions are 200 Watts.

7. redcloud

redcloud

Oct 6, 2011
    Carvin's MB-115 seems good. I have the 115 MB version as an extension to my Carvin MB-12 Combo.

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Jump on the 215D Peavey. You'll like it.

9. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    +1

10. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Keep an eye on the Amazon Deals thread in the Hot Deals folder. Some of the deals involve crazy pricing on new 115s that are at used prices or below.

11. At those prices, I'd go for the height of the 2x15 cabs (not the Hartke - it has a clean sound, but its speakers are wimpier than other brands) I'd go fer the Ampeg SVT 215-E , probably has the best resale value of all of em, and if you see something better, you could trade up. Your going to need the height of 2 15's to compete with two other guitars at 50 Watts each.

when it comes to Hard Rock, I follow the rule of 10. For every watt the guitarists have multiply that number by 10 and thats generally the minimum yer gonna need to be heard.

12. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    Amazon has a special on GK 212MBE cabs for like $265 right now. Its the 8 ohm cab so you would probably want to run 2 for 4 ohm total load. I'm the last guy to ask how good it would sound for sludge music though :)

13. Why not build your own and save megabucks, here's a rig I built to compliment the orange.

110bvqc.

14. Glosoli

Glosoli

Dec 28, 2011
    Lewiston, ID
    I thought there was something fishy about $199 new for that cab and I found it. The response range is: 60 - 5Khz. C2 is 65hz, not much room if you ask me.

@ Building my own cabinets
    I don't have power tools. I'm sure it's a simple process, but I can't even hang a door right. Not to mention it's winter and I don't have a heated garage/shop.

@ Buying an Avatar
    I'm 2 hours south of their HQ, but their new cabinets are over my budget. I could jump on an Avatar 4x10 for $200, but I don't know if would be a good for me or not.

4x10 GC stock options:
    Carvin BR410 $200
    Peavey TVX $150-190
    Eden D410T $300
    Ampeg BSE H/HD/HLF $250-300
    Ampeg SVT HE $300
    Ampeg SVT HLF $350

I'm liking the suggestion of the Carvin BR115. 600w, Speakons, goes to 35hz, 99dB @ 1w, USA made. GC has 1 in stock for $170.

I might just pull the trigger on the Peavey 215D. Even if it doesn't have BW equipped, I'm looking at 400w instead of 700w. It doesn't have casters installed, would be fun for a bit!

Keep the good advice rolling in!

15. Add a bass big muff to the Peavey 215D and you will be in sludgey heaven. I would also see sbout talking them down on the price. Maybe have them throw in some casters or something.

16. I concur. I have a Peavey 2x15 and it is thunderous. I want to get a second and go with a head that can run a 2 ohm load because that would be so manly.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Don't pay much attention to the wattage ratings and response numbers you see in ads, most don't mean much. Stuff that says it goes to 50 some-60some hz is likely accurate. Anything lower than that, save for a few top builders, is likely bogus.

The Peavey 215. Scorpions and 1502 BW's don't have a lot of excursion by todays standards but, they play loud per watt and have good mids to get them through a dense mix. If you see something with 1505 BW's in it, definitely grab it. Plenty of guys have played many a loud rock gig with the other models though. If it has the old stamped frame 15's with the square magnets on them, leave it there, you can do better.

A pair of 410's would likely be even a bit louder but I don't see any two there that match. The 410TVX is a real workhorse though.

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    A pair of GK Neo 115 cabs would be fantastic but you should be able to get a pair of used matching 115 cabs for $400 if you keep your eyes open. The key is to buy identical cabs as they couple together to create a massive sound greater then the sum of its parts.

The Eden cabs you listed would be a great deal. I love the sound of a 215 rig.