Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Budget 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phoenixdown, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Yamaha BBG5S

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Warwick Rockbass Streamer

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Other (Please State)

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    ok im looking to expand into 5 string and i want to get a budget 1 first incase i dont find myself using the b string alot. the ones i have found are Rockbass Streamer Dual Pickup 5 String or a Yamaha BBG5S. im leaning towards the yamaha but any other sugeestions would also be welcome.

thanks.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i would say look no further than the MTD Kingston 5. They are a great bargain for he buck - under $500.

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The MIM Fender Jazz V (Standard). I'd offer the MTD Kingston, but won't for the lack of quality low-end tone.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yeah, the Kingston is very mid-rangey. But, I like a lot of mids in my sound. Plus, I just crank up the bass on my preamp...

5. Kingston, Lakland Skyline 55-01, Conklin Groove Tools 5.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    The Kingston is sweet at any price with a great B. If you are going to dabble with a 5, you may as well purchase one with a good B. A flappy B will ruin the whole experience. It makes or breaks a 5.

The others you mentioned may be fine, however. I've never played any of them.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    My First choices would be

Lakland Skyline 55-01 $600-800
    MTD Kingston $500
    Yamaha RBX765 ($400 ish)

The Yamaha is a great bass also! I loved the 760 and the 765s weren't that bad as well!

DM

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    i have a BBG5S, but I would recommend looking at the new BB605. It has better electronics than the G5S, and you can still buy it new for about $400. The yamaha is the best $400 bass out there, without a doubt. The BBG5S hasn't been available new since about march of last year, when I bought mine.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A number of good choices out there, but when this question pops up I always answer Kingston 5 because it has great tone and perfect playability for me.

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The Kingston is the one p'up model isn't it? What is the one with a MM in the bridge and a J in the neck? And how much are they running?

11. an olp mm3, im buying mine on saturday, i suggest getting one, they are great 5 strings.

12. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    That would be the Heir - about 100 USD more.

13. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    My Kingston should be here around Friday.. I'll be the third Talkbasser to own it.

Dirk

14. Spector NS 2000/5, $499 from Musiciansfriend. Pretty good price for a bass with neck through contruction and that sounds, plays, and looks great.

15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you really have your heart stuck on the Yamaha, id say go for it, but if you want a little big of bang for your buck, go for the MTD ;)

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Saw a brand new Yamaha RBX765A at a local shop yesterday for only $269...great price, nice bass in red with gold hardware. If I didn't already have too many basses....

17. I have to agree with you about Yamaha. I have a BBN5 II, which I am pretty sure is no longer made. I think the difference between the G and the N series was that the Ns were passive. Great bass. I paid $399 for it and it has such a growly tone, no matter the price! Very Fender-like in looks, feel and sound. I chose this bass over a BTB; the BTB had a tighter B string, but, I much prefered the overall tone of the Yamaha. It was also more comfortable to play to me. The new BB605s have the NE-1 parametric EQ built in for $400! That is a super deal. I haven't played a Kingston, but, many people say they're great and I believe them. A BTB'll be about $200 more than the Yamaha. The RBX series Yamahas are also very good. I just happen to like Yamaha. I still want a BTB.

Good luck whatever you get.

Mike

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I'd suggest the new Cort/Elrick is worth a serious look.

[​IMG]

19. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    nice looking bass....... any more info on it????? website...price....etc