1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Budget 6 string bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by neil933, Sep 5, 2008.

1. neil933

neil933

Sep 4, 2008
    Hi All,
    I've been around the block many times and have altered many basses over the years (40yrs old for reference). I just bought my 2nd Rogue 6 string bass. I liked my first one but hated the pickups and/or preamp. I love the 35" scale neck and have owned Deans/Ibanez 6 strings and think they are all made in the same factory. My current issue is, what pickups should I put in a budget bass?? I love humbucking bass pickups (can't stand the hum) and have had great results from active and passive w/ active eq basses. Let's face it, the Rogue pickups are not good! I plan to route the cavity for a standard EMG 6 string size 'bucker and want to make a good "cheap choice". Mighty Mites seem to have bad reviews, GB's???, EMG HZ's (had em and was pleased but always looking for better)? Am I looking for what doesn't exist? A good bass pickup without spending more than I paid for the bass ($130 on ebay)? Is the preamp worth keeping? I know that many will say "bite the bullet" and get good electronics, but I've been happy with many mid line systems from Dean and Ibanez in the past. I have no problem buying in stages, but just wanted some thoughts. Thanks, Neil933.

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Hi neil933,

You might look into some of the active EMG's (45DC, 45CS, etc.), they'll run you around $110-ish.

My first recommendation was going to be the EMG-HZs, but of course you mentioned them already.

I can't really think of any other pickups that might fall into your price/quality guidelines. But, I'm sure someone else on the forum will have other suggestions.

3. neil933

neil933

Sep 4, 2008
    Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I agree that the HZ's are a real good value. I also think the EMG active line is the way to go, but I just hate to put $300 worth of new electronics into a budget bass. I think I will be patient and see if I can scoop up some Ibanez or Dean takeouts (or any other deal I can find). I agree that the affordable 6 string bass pickup selection is limited, no real underground steals. At least I have some choices, the HZ's and some other passive pickups with a nice preamp will do the job. I think I will wait for some HZ takeouts to show up, then get the preamp later. The Rogue may do for a few months. We'll have to see.

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Yeah, decent pickups/electronics are just expensive unless the GAS gods smile upon you...

Of course, you could always transfer the nice pickups you might put in the Rogue to another bass later on...

5. neil933

neil933

Sep 4, 2008
    Very good point! Guess I hadn't looked the the investment from that perspective. Thanks.