1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Budget Ampeg Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tasteebass, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Tasteebass

Tasteebass

Nov 30, 2010
    Crockett, CA
    First post. Great info from everyone on TB. 10 years playing and jamming with buddies through an Ampeg combo, and now I need a live rig. Love the Ampeg sound and a dream rig would be SVT-VR through classic SVT-410HE and SVT-15E. Ryan Stasik of Umphrey's McGee plays through this rig and it's just huge. However, I'm not a recent lottery winner and need something a bit more cost effective. I'm thinking of VT Bass into a Markbass LMIII, through some combo of Avatar cabs to hit 4 ohms. 2 x 410's, 2 x 212's, or a 410 and a 212. I would also be cranking down the horns as I prefer a somewhat restrained highend. The other option is to eat ramen for a couple months and get the 2 Ampeg cabs and eventually swoop the VR in a couple years. In the mean time, I would likely run the above mentioned VT into LMIII

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of rig, and/or other poorman's Ampeg rigs.

Thank you all in advance.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    8x10 cabs sometimes show up cheap used when folks get tired of humping them around. One of those and a used V4 can get pretty loud ...

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Coolest, hands down, budget Ampeg rig I played thru was a V4b atop a Classic series 1x12". Damn, that sounded nice!

4. Tasteebass

Tasteebass

Nov 30, 2010
    Crockett, CA
    100W though? I know it's tube watts, but how would that compare with the LMIII's 500W @ 4 ohms? (in volume)

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    All depends on how fast you want to go deaf :D .

6. Tasteebass

Tasteebass

Nov 30, 2010
    Crockett, CA
    Yeah after reading through some of the V4B posts here it doesn't seem like anyone has any volume issues from its 100W. Impressive.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well don't expect it to sound as loud as an lmii, but through a big cab rig, it can get as loud as i ever needed.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, the volume is more from having enough *good* speakers, than it is wattage. 100 watts through a large efficient cab can get plenty loud. Pass on the 410/15 set up though, matching cabs are the way to go. 2x 212 is the option you listed that I'd pick.

9. Tasteebass

Tasteebass

Nov 30, 2010
    Crockett, CA
    I've read a few posts recommending the same RB, but I'm not sure as to why the 4x10 + 1x15 rig is ill advised, or what the specific benefits of matching cabs is. Is it a phase issue? Thanks for your responses by the way. This is all very helpful info.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    not only because of phasing, but because a 115 has about half the volume of a 410 with the same power going to it.

11. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    With effecient cabs (with multiple drivers) the V4B kills
    With a single 15, the LMII is louder; I currently have both heads

12. Tasteebass

Tasteebass

Nov 30, 2010
    Crockett, CA
    So I would imagine the same to be true of the 212 at about 2/3 the surface area of the 410. In the Bass Guitar Mag review, the reviewer found the 212 "noticably louder". Perceived volume perhaps? Trying to wrap my head around the ins and out of cab design.

13. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I tried an LMII into my SVT810AV with an Xotic BB Bass and was impressed. Many people like the LMII/VT combo and it seems like a good way to go. I think the main reason one would go this route would be weight savings, though, if that's important to you.

I don't think you'd really save money by buying Avatar instead of Ampeg cabs, especially used. If you want the Ampegs get those. I have owned and liked both Ampeg and Avatar cabs. No experience with those specific cabs, though. I had an Avatar Delta 410 that was solid. I have the Ampeg 810 now which I love, and I owned a SVT410HLF for a while that was a monster. Quality is about the same, I'd say. If you like the sound of the 410/115 thing then cool. It's a guessing game how other cabs will sound if you haven't tried them. I'm sure the advice about mixing cabs is good advice, but I've mixed cabs and liked the results. Lots of things that shouldn't sound good do anyway... The effeciency can be a real issue, but the style of music you're talking about isn't insanely loud, so it may not be an issue for you.

And for that type of music, I would think the V4 will be fine. I don't think you'd miss the 300 watts of the VR.

You could probably put together a rig with a V4 and those Ampeg cabs for under a grand if you shop used.

I'd say about $500 for the V4, $350 for the SVT410HE, and $200 for the SVT115E. Less if you're lucky.

I think you'd be best off (if you're really sure what you ultimately want) getting as much of it right off the bat as you can. Why get a different rig from what you want (even if it can sound mostly like it), when you could probably get most of it for the same money, and 'upgrade' later to the VR... (I'm sure there are many who would not necesarily call moving from the V4 to the VR an upgrade)

Maybe grab the 410 first if your combo has a speaker output, that would be the most bang for your buck upgrade to what you have now. Then maybe the V4 (you may be able to used your combo as a second speaker cab with the V4), and then the 115.

-JV

14. Search Craigslist and be patient. I have come across lots of deals and the equipment is in really good condition. People go through phases and then dump equipment cheap. Also, look in cities that you would be willing to drive to. If the deal is sweet enough I'm willing to drive the distance. Plus, try to haggle with them a little bit on the price, doesn't always work, but it can pay off.

I was able to put together an Ampeg setup that I am very happy with for $1,000.

I picked up the following over the course of about 6 months:

SVT 4-Pro - $420
    SVT 410HLF - $280
    SVT 610HLF - $300

The cabs had a little wear, but nothing bad at all. The 4-Pro was in excellent shape!

I go back and forth between the 410 and 610, haven't decided which one I like the best.

Good luck with your search!

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    me too. especially when there are so many cab designs and speaker designs that challenge one's old perceptions of cab design. and you can't just take speaker area as the only reason for a cab's loudness capability anymore.

but since you were talking about the ampeg cabs, which are more traditional cabs made with more traditional speakers, you can.

16. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
    do not know how that 100W would compare to LMIII's 500W, but - my V4B [vol@9 o'clock, EQ@12 o'clock] through behringer 4x10 destroyed little mark 250 through fender 4x10 [gain@9 o'clock, master vol.@5 o clock, EQ@12 o'clock].

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i once compared clean volume of my svt vs a little mark ii...the lmiii edged it out but by an ever so slight margin. big deal, i say, but i wanted to see if all this hooha about tube watts being louder was true. doesn't seem like it.

18. Tasteebass

Tasteebass

Nov 30, 2010
    Crockett, CA
    First, thank you all for your input and info. I gave Dave at Avatar a call this afternoon to get his take on a 2 cab rig that would serve my needs. After running through the strong points of each cab, he informed me that over the past 6 months he has been working on a new 1x15 cab. The cab will show up for sale on his site in the next week or so. He said they were testing the cab on its own a couple weeks back and it was shaking walls. Apparently, after reading all of the TB posts on their old 1x15, he took the TB'ers advice and put together a 450W cab with the top of the line eminence 15" neo driver, a 6" mid driver, and a horn. He also designed a new 3 way crossover. The new cab will be called the TB153 (or TB1153? it was a couple hrs ago), in honor of the "focus group" that led to its creation. The old model ran about $250, and this one will be closer to $500, but from the sounds of it well worth it. Can't wait to start seeing some reviews.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    wow, aggie's getting into the woofer/mid act, too?

20. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area