1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Budget Bass Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheFenderBender, Jun 27, 2012.

1. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    Budget-$250

So, right now I use my dad's old 1989 fender squier II, it is Black and has no pickguard. It plays well, but I am looking for one that I can play around and one that can take a beating, I am attached to my fender, and my backup fender was broken. I love fenders and Danelectros but I couldnt find a good dan bass anywhere :help:

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    gretsch junior jet maybe?

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  4. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    I should have specified, I am not looking for a jazz bass. I play in a high school punk/grunge band.

5. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Can't use a J bass in a punk band why? Not enough low end? What did you have in mind? Maybe a PJ or straight up P bass?

6. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    Exactly, I like the wide range of tone on a jazz bass, but it doesn't hit the sweet spot, you know?

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
  8. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
  9. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    I'll bookmark that and the squier vintage. That Douglas is lighter then my maple Squier, that thing is like 11 pounds.

10. hip63

hip63

Sep 14, 2010
  11. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    Well I figured at that price you could buy two. Keep one nice and shinny for special occasions and just beat the tar out of the other one (ya know, maybe black it out with a touch of relicing and a kool sticker or two). It could be like the evil twin to the nice one. :D:eek::bassist::D

12. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1... Better not tell Klaus Flouride (Dead Kennedys) or Darryl Jenifer (Bad Brains) that! Heck, even Matt Freeman used a Jazz during his stint w/ Social Distortion...

But I do get the Precision/punk connection. I'd say go for either the Squier VM or SX for the most bang for your buck.

Good luck w/ the search! :)

13. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    My Squier II has a Kiss army sticker thats been on the back for at least ten years, The squier II was when my dad played with napalm beach and played at the berlin wall. Thats why it's special.

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    That's so cool he passed the mojo on to you. Maybe someday you can pass it on to your kid and keep the legacy alive.
    I can hear the story now...." now this bad boy here used to belong to Grandpa way back when....." ;)

15. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    He also taught my twin brother to play guitar. We are from seattle, so I guess Music is in our veins.

16. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Ibanez, Peavey and Squier all make good basses at great prices.
    I've had a lot of luck with SRX Ibanezes and just picked up a Peavey Zodiac for $70 that is amazing. Squiers are nice but vary a lot. The VM Squier mentioned above is a nice bass but is very heavy. There is a VM 60s model that's lighter but still not ultra light. Those pop up used at affordable prices. The Squier standards are an upgrade over the Affinity basses and are lightweight.

17. I used to see them here in Potland Oregon all the time at The Satyricon on N W 6th I think :meh:

U.F.O. Cafe and the X-Ray cafe too!!! :hyper: on 2nd and W Burnside

GOOOOOOD TIMMMMES!!!! :D

I wish they was still around :bawl: (the clubs and bands)

We did get Voodoo Donuts out of the deal :D

18. N I C lK

N I C lK

Aug 21, 2011
    Western New York