1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Budget Bass Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by veggiecorndog, Jan 15, 2018.

1. veggiecorndog

veggiecorndog

Jun 26, 2017
    I've been a long time TB lurker. I have long needed my own rig for a while. Somehow I have been lucky enough to borrow almost everything I need, but this isn't sustainable. I need something mostly for rehearsal that can keep up with a drummer and guitarist or two. Local venues are likely to have PA support. The current project is trending more post rock

So, what I am looking at is something in the 200-300W range. I think this is what I need, and this is really what fits in my budget right now. Budget is about $400-500 with a little wiggle room. I know that isn't a lot, so I am just hoping to get the best I can for now, and upgrade when I can instead of continuing to put this off. I think I am going to need to get a used cabinet to save on some cash. Can't decide if I should go ahead and get a 412 or try to find a smaller 212. My fear is that the 212 is not going to be loud enough.

What I have been looking at
    -Combos
    -Used
    GK 400RBIII 210 $270 - Wasn't considering combos, but found this.

-Heads
    -Used
    Acoustic B200H 200W $110/Acoustic B300H 300W $150/Acoustic B600H $220 - Honestly, hear a lot of good stuff about acoustics, but not sure they will work well for my purposes.
    Ampeg PF350 350w $200 - thinking might be a better idea to buy new for warranty.
    Peavey Mark VI XPs series $250/Other Peavey Mark IV or similar =<$200
    GK 400RB $??? - Waiting for one to pop up in budget
    -New
    GK MB200 200w $320
    Ampeg PF350 $300

-Cabs
    -Used
    GK GLX 410 $180
    GK 115GLX $150 (with casters!)
    GK 410 MBX 400w 4x10 $250
    Peavey 210TXF $150
    Peavey 410 TVX/etc $??? - Keeping an eye out

Anything else I should be looking for or keep in mind? Thanks!

2. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Used is your best bet. My advice is get as much watts in a head as you can get & if you are going to use multiple cabs try to get two with the same number of speakers, such as two 2x10's, two 1x12's, two 1x15's or one 4ohm 4x10. I have a Hartke LH500 & a Fender Rumble 500 (both 500 watts) with two 2x10's that does more than I need

3. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I've worked with bassists for years who were still using older Peavey BAM 2x10 combos, PV Combo 115s, PV TNTs, etc. On a dollar/watt scale and for rugged reliability they can't be beat. I've heard guys dial in some pretty good tones from them and they are the loudest combos I've ever heard. All of them have an external speaker input so if you needed more (unlikely lol) you can throw an old PV 1x15 or 2x10 under it. Something like this ...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Combo-115-Bass-Combo-Amp.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/TNT-1x15-600W-Bass-Combo-Amp.gc

https://www.music123.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-bam-210-bass-combo

And I also worked with a guy playing an SWR RedHead 2x10 combo and it was pretty sweet, too. They used to be high-dollar but used ones have come down.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/SWR/REDHEAD-240-Bass-Combo-Amp.gc

If I was starting over this is definitely where I'd look. YMMV.

4. KokaKola

KokaKola

Jan 21, 2015
    Kalamazoo MI
    The newer Acoustic branded stuff is decent on a budget and I had good luck using a B600H on the road, at the time I used it with an Ampeg 410cl that was beat up pretty bad but sounded great. I bet you could buy that rig with your budget

5. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    A used 400RB into a 212, 410, or both cabs. Even though the amp is only rated at 200 watts, you would be amazed on how loud this combo can get, to the point it can even carry many clubs by itself.

Just a 212 and the head make a nice club rig, more than enough for most rock bands.

I bought them used, and have just a touch over 500.00 in the 212 and head. 300.00 for the 410 makes a very nice and versitile rig for about 800 bucks.

image.

spatchthepunk and MrLenny1 like this.
  6. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'll tell you what, I was playing through one of those GK Goldline 810s not that long ago, and it really didn't sound all that bad... I know they don't get a ton of love here (I think it's because they were the direct-to-GC GKs), but if it's in good shape, spending $180 on that and then making more of an investment in your head.. like say, finding a used 700RB, might not be a bad idea. I say 700RB into the Goldline, because I believe those Goldline 410s are all 8ohm, so a 700RB-i will do 225w into it, and a 700RB-ii will do 320 @ 8ohms. The 400RB-iii will do... 150w into 8ohms, and the iv will do 180w as a point of reference.

That combination would likely hold you over for a good long while, and when the time comes for your next upgrade, all you'd need to do is flip the Goldline, invest a little in a slightly more premium cab and you'd be set for probably forever.

Also, FWIW, unless you're playing super loud, or very low-heavy music, a 2x12 will IMO work for the vast majority of situations. Everybody's needs are different, but I've done it with loud rock bands.

spatchthepunk likes this.
  7. spatchthepunk

spatchthepunk

Jul 16, 2017
    Mpls MN
    I think you are on the right track,gk stuff used is a bargain in my opinion.I would suggest looking for a backline 600, I have one I use as a backup head that I paid $150 bucks for in mint condition I think it sounds as good as my vintage 400rb.If you can hump them around 4x10 cabs are the true steal in the market now.

8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    You could do yourself a favor in the future by spending as much as you can now on the best cab or two you can afford, then use as little as possible on a really loud "junk" head, like a used Behringer or Crate.

Your cabs are the tires on the road. If they suck it doesn't matter what you're putting into them. Used power amps and budget amps are loud and cheap.

My suggestion is 400 of that budget on a cab that was pretty expensive when it was new, like a 2x12 or pair of 15's, then use the rest on a power amp. Use that "wiggle room" for something in a pedal preamp, channel strip, or Mic pre. You will want to spend a few minutes looking into input and output impedance matching, but you could pull it off on that budget.

BadExample likes this.
  9. I used to use an Eden Nemesis 4x10 combo. 200 watts. It was actually very lightweight due to cabinet design. I picked it up cheaply off CL with a few control knobs/pot shafts busted off. That thing got as loud as I needed! Great combo. I actually left it at the drummer’s house when I left the band. I should go pick it up - that was 8 years ago!

(I have a Nemesis 210 combo amp as well. Same 200 watts. Smaller size make it even more portable, but when I stand it upright, the controls are all along the side.)