Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Budget Bass Showdown

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nosedivekarma, Aug 2, 2005.

1. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    Wit help from this site I've narrowed my search down for a first bass to one of the following:

Yamaha BB414 - £300

Schecter Stiletto Elite 4 - £449

Schecter CA Custom 4 BCH - £449

Warwick Corvette Standard - £549

Musicman S.U.B Bass - £649.

MIA Fender Jazz - £699.

I'm looking to play a very basic, noisy punk style (think Sonic Youth, Black Flag). I'll be using a pick rather than fingers and will have to by online because I live too far from a guitar shop to try any out in advance - so manufacturer consistency is a BIG deal for me. Any advice?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say go for them in the following order: SUB, Yamaha, Fender. The SUB is very consistently high qualit and can give you your sound. THe Yamaha is very high quality and cheapest by far. The Fender may not be so consistent but if it is good, it will be very good. If it is bad, it's still a Fender and you can sell it very easily.

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I would get the MM S.U.B., or the Fender Jazz, or the Yamaha BB414.

4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've tried out 4 of the 6 recently with the exceptions being the Yamaha and the Schecter CA (unless you meant the C4, which I did try).

I liked the Schecter Stiletto Elite 4 the best. You get a lot for the money.

5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway

if you change your mind on the MIA, try out the Geddy fender

6. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I just looked at the Geddy Fender on Musician's Friend and it looks lovely. They're listing it at $699 which should be about the same in pounds. This puts it at the very top of my price range but I'd do it. How safe would it be to get one of these online? I keep hearing about lack of reliabity with Fender.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That concern generally doesn't apply to made in Japan Fenders. If you want the Geddy, get it. :bassist:

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I vote for the SUB. Great consistency and works well for punk.

9. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    how about a MIA fender p bass?

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I say SUB. That single humbucker relatively close to the bridge gives you a LOT of room to bang away with a pick, especially if your right hand pick strokes get heavy in the heat of the moment on stage, and you'll never hit the pickup with your pick. Plus, Ernie Ball have very consistent quality and excellent customer service. In addition, Ernie Balls are reputed to be built like tanks, and since punk shows can get rowdy, you want a bass with a reputation like that.

11. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I just had a day in London and visited House of Guitars. looks like they had a ton of stuff but no S.U.Bs or Geddy Lees so I never had a chance to try either out. God, guitar shops make me SO nervous. Everyone in there trying stuff out seemed to look like that weird dude who appears in a lot of Red Hot Chilli Peppers videos. They should have little soundproof booths for us beginners to make our racket free from the sneers of all the fretboard gymnasts hanging around the PRSs

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yamaha BB414. Great bass - and not just for the price. It's a great little bass. I can get many tones from hand placement and pickup selection. I am "this close" to taking the one at th estore home.