Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Budget bass to turn into a piccolo bass - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexclaber, Mar 1, 2003.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm leaning towards a Squier Jazz or similar - does anyone out there play piccolo bass and have any suggestions?

Also the big question is what gauge strings to get - I want all 4 strings to be wound just for the feel of it and I have 44-110 s/s rounds on my normal bass so I'm perfectly happy with the tension being pretty high, any ideas?

And finally, if the tension proves to be higher than in standard tuning, is this likely to cause problems on a low-end bass?

Cheers,

Alex

2. look get a real jazz for around 200. i did saw it used at guitar center. i was about to do what u said make it a piccolo but i put my trem on it. o yeah thicker the strings less tight.

3. To my ear the only Fenders that work as a piccolo would be a musicmaster either vintage or one of the reissues, usually pretty cheap less that 200. There are a lot of older short and medium scale basses that work well as a piccolo, better than they did as basses, and with the short scale basses you can often use a regular guitar set to find your gagues, I get a jazz gagued set with a wound G and give the oter strings to a gtr player for spares. In the past I have used Hagstrom, Guild, Ovation, Kay and Harmony basses for piccolos with good results. Right now I have 3 that are set up as piccolo basses: Carvin LB-50 for rock, Harmony HB2 hollow body for jazzy, and a Cooper medium scale tuned ADGC for chord work and higher parts :cool: