Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

budget combo suggestions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wbk666, Feb 8, 2002.

1. wbk666

wbk666

Feb 7, 2002
    England, UK
    my wallet won't stretch to the likes of ampeg, crate etc. can anyone suggest a combo about 100 watts (we play only small venues). My musical style is classic rock to nu-age metal so its pretty wide ranging.
    thanks in advane for the help.

2. elbass

elbass

Aug 6, 2001
    San Antonio TX
    Check out the SWR Workingman's series. I have the Workingman's 12 and I'm very pleased with it for low volume situations where I don't want to hump a lot of gear. Not a loud amp, but it sounds good for the money. It also has a line out that you can run to the PA for more volume.

3. wbk666

wbk666

Feb 7, 2002
    England, UK
    i just can't afford the swr, i was thinking more along the line sof the Laney hcm 120b or Carvin pb100. but i don't know much about them.

4. elbass

elbass

Aug 6, 2001
    San Antonio TX
    Boy, it seems to me that I only paid about $300 for my WM 12 from Washington Music...'course that was about 6 years ago when I bought it, and my memory may be faulty (it sucks to get old). The best price I can find on the web for a new WM 10 is about $400.

At any rate, my church owns a Carvin PB-100 that I play through every Sunday morning. Although it doesn't compare to the more expensive SWRs, I think it's a good sounding amp for the price, and the construction seems pretty solid. Naturally, with only 100 watts and a 10" speaker you're going to face some limitations with volume (so you may have to tell the guitar player and drummer to cool it a little bit). But if you go for the Carvin, I think you'll get a good product for your money. I've never played a Laney, but a friend of mine who tried one of their small amps had good things to say about them.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    From what I hear, stay away from Laney.

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    If you're going to gig with it get the PB100-15 with the 15" speaker, you'll push alot more air than the 10" (obviously). It'll also help to set your amp on top of something.

7. wbk666

wbk666

Feb 7, 2002
    England, UK
    for some reason prices in the UK seem to be higher than in the US like carvin advertise the pb100 for $279 but over here i'd have to pay £279 = $394
    we in the UK are being ripped off.

8. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
  9. Maybe laney's bass amps suck (never played one), but I CAN TELL YOU WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY THAT SOME OF THEIR PRODUCTS DO NOT. Their VH100 guitar amp head puts a Marshall JCM2000 to shame IMO, and is much more versatile than a Mesa Dual Rectumfryer (bad clean channel IMHO) or Peavey 5150 (great deal, fabulous distortion, even worse clean.).

Since that was about guitars, I'll shut up now :D .I love both basses and guitars and just feel like playing each one at different times. But I think I'm more passionate about bass. It was my first instrumental love hehehe. :D :p :cool:

10. wbk666

wbk666

Feb 7, 2002
    England, UK
    i live in the UK. carvin are in USA. carriage would be astronomical and i prefer to try something out before i buy it. it may not suit my bass or just down right suck.
    to buy the pb100-15 in the us would cost you $299
    fro me to but it here in the uk would cost me £329 thats equal to $465 see my point about being ripped off
    So er... NO i can't just order from carvin.com. or carvin.co.uk. thanks anyway:mad:

11. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Try the Ashdown electric blue combo. I have an electric blue 115 and it sounds great.

12. what about Trace Elliot?

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You must be pretty strapped if you can't afford a Crate. I got my BX-100 for $325 new, and it's getting me by on small rooms. I'm pretty happy with it, all things said.

14. wbk666

wbk666

Feb 7, 2002
    England, UK
    Like i said before, by the time they reach the UK they seem to have added about $150 to the price.

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Well sorry but you're gonna have to widen your budget or buy used... do you have any places that sell good used gear?

16. wbk666

wbk666

Feb 7, 2002
    England, UK
    just picked up a 200 watt MacGregor combo for £150 about $215. it sounds great. it has a compressor, 15" speaker, DI out and 2 outputs for driving external cabs, effects loop and countless other things that i'm still learning about. I'd never heard of thee make before but now i've played with it i'm impressed.
    thanks for your help anyway.:D

17. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    What would you pay for an Ashdown 130 12" combo?

They are about $400 over here...since they're british
    made, are they a value deal over there?

How about the Gallien Krueger Backline series? They
    are quite cheap here, but I guess it might be the same
    scoop as SWR in the UK --- too high?

18. wbk666

wbk666

Feb 7, 2002
    England, UK
    would you believe even british made amps are more expensive here. the ashdown you mentioned is £299 thats about £427. tey put it dow to VAT (value added tax) a little thing our govenment rips us off with. we have to pay tax at least 2 times on money we have.:mad:

19. wbk666

wbk666

Feb 7, 2002
    England, UK
    i ment to say $427 not £427
    i was typing to quickly:oops:

20. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i guess the ashdown is about the same...
    we have to pay 'sales tax' in most states, which
    is between 5 and 10% depending on the states.
    some states like Oregon you don't have to pay
    it.

how about the GK backline?