Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Budget compression stompbox?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by embellisher, Aug 18, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I need a good compressor, and would prefer a pedal.

I know about the Demeter and the EHX Black Finger.

Is there anything close to these in performance, for less money? If so, how close? I would prefer something that sounds natural, but can tame the peaks when popping multiple strings, and even out the notes when tapping.

If there is nothing close to these for less money, would you get the Demeter or the EHX? They are within $10 of each other. Which is better?

Thanks!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

See the test in the Jacques pedal thread.

3. embellisher

According to your review, it doesn't work real well for evening out the peaks on doublepops, which is the main thing I need it for.

What about the EHX Black Finger? I found a blem for $149.00, and that puts quite a distance between it and the Demeter pricewise. Also, do you have any experience with the Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor? I found one of those at a very reasonable price, but I know nothing about it, and I can't find one locally to try.

What really sucks is that I used to have a Ross stompbox, and didn't realize that they were highly regarded. When I bought my Eden Metro, it had a compressor built in, so I packed up the Ross. It was in my gear bag that got stolen(along with my Eden) almost 2 years ago. Now I find out that they are what everybody is trying to duplicate, and I see them for $200 on Ebay!:eek:

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Jeff,
    why not look into the EBS MultiComp? Should be able to get one used in your price range. Or , even cheaper, is the Digitech Bass Squeeze which is dual band. I had the Trace Elliot and found it a bit noisy.

5. embellisher

David, I will look into an EBS.

I tried a used Tech 21 Bass Compactor today, and was very disappointed. The pedal was clean. It looked brand new, for $60. Plugged it in, and it was pretty noisy. I managed to clean some of the noise up by tweaking the knobs, but it was still pretty noisy on the attack/release/whatever you call it when you go from no signal to plucking a note.

I have also dropped the Trace from consideration, due to reading too many negatives about it.

6. embellisher

David, I am checking out the Bass Squeeze online now. The price is attractive, and there is also a $20 rebate right now. Do you have any experience with this pedal? How does it compare to the EBS and the Black Finger?

7. Jazz Ad

The Bass Squeeze actually acts a lot more like the TE Dual Comp.
    I haven't seen its guts but it sounds like a blatant ripoff to me.
    Which is good news since the now discontinued TE rocked.
    Ratio is factory set very high so it tends to act more like a limiter on extreme settings, but it's not a bad thing at all.
    An excellent deal for the price.

8. embellisher

How would you compare it to the Jacques compressor that you reviewed?

9. Jazz Ad

They don't have much in common.

The Digitech is great to achieve a war tone that will go through anything. I'd recommend it for an aggressive or very deep tone, mainly for slap or metal. The kind you'd switch on for a solo.

The Jacques is more subtle, giving body and tightness to your bass. It will be nice for recording and can very well become a part of your everyday tone.

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As Jazz Ad said, it's good for doing a simple tone. It's not transparent like the EBS, but very good value for money if money is an issue.

11. Jazz Ad

Oh yeah, since we talk about it, I always liked the EBS MultiComp, now the Jacques blows it away for about the same price.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Wow, high praise indeed. Now I got to check the Jacques out!