Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Budget Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Hello, I am looking for a nice quality fretless bass for $1500 or under. I would prefer a 5-6 string but I would settle for a 4 string if it was nice enough. I also wouldn't mind buying a used bass, as long as it was from a legitimate dealer, rather than ebay or something similar. Right now I am considering Carvin, and a few othesr but I would just like the best tone and overal quality for up to $1500.

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    godin fretless?
    warwicks?
    fenders?
    musicmans?

man you can get quite a lot with that budget...

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Mm, as for fretless with that budget, I'd play the used market. I've seen Zons (some of the greatest fretless ever made IMO) go for less than that used. Actually, there was one here for 1800 I think. However, I'd go Fretless MusicMan Bongo if I were you.

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    One of the finest fretless bass I have ever owned or played is my Carvin B5F (bolt-on). First, the ebony fretboard is far superior to alot of other fretless basses I have played and man does this sucker have growl and punch! I got mone with a walnut body and I could get everything from a Fender sound to modern sounding instrument. And the quality.....flawless. Really nice instrument. Think I paid around $850......including shipping and case!

My next fretless will be a Fender '62 RI I am ordering from Japan. It is running me around $730 (including shipping). I'll let all you TBers how it is when I get it!

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I liked the Warwick F/L I tried in GC one day. Beautiful tone. It was a heavy piece though.

6. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I would be interested possibly in Godin or maybe even a Bongo, but I just want something that has a really smooth fretless feel with that great fretless tone: warm and woody by the neck and biting and midrangey near the bridge.

7. The MusicMan Stingray fretless is INCREDIBLE! Wonderful growl, and plenty of tones available with the preamp.

8. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    under $1500?????...WARWICK

9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    To me, you just described a Bongo. GO FOR IT!

10. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    You're in Fury country for that money. I play them because they have an incredibly versatile tone, are made by one man who has been making them for 40+ years, and have a really great neck. I have 5 of them (2 fretlesses) going on 6 in a couple of weeks. PM for more details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    What world do you guys live in where $1500 is budget?!?!??!?!

I was all prepared to reccommend a Cort Curbow 5 fretless... I got mine for about $400 new, it was a great bass.. got rid of it when I got my "expensive" Tacoma CB105 fretless...

Now I know I'm cheap :crying:

12. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Pete Skjold has a really, really, really nice one for $1700. If you could stretch, that's what I'd go for. I played it yesterday and can't begin to convey how great that was. Smooth, wonderful sounding, and so much more...

13. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Lecompte!Lecomptebass.com Bud makes some sweet basses. I think you would get more for the money than you would going with carvin. Just my opinion!I have played Carvins and was not very impressed.

14. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Amen. I am building a fretless right now, but the neck, p'ups, and all the hardware still ran me 650 bucks. This does not include the cost of the wood for the body, or the time and effort involved....But it will be MINE.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you have got $1500, look for a used Zon. Best fretless out there IMHO.

If you can't find a used Zon for that, a used Pedulla PentaBuzz goes for that, sometimes less. And isn't too far behind the Zon.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree. If you can stretch your budget just a very little bit, a Skjold fretless would be my vote. If not, I'll join the Warwick camp. The Corvette Standard fretless is just stupid good for the money, IMHO.

Tom.

17. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Since I have one, Warwick does a nice fretless.

Also, you should be able to get a nice Pedulla Buzz within you're budget. Stellar reputation.

18. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I love Carvins myself, but if you like a bit more of a classic bolt on instrument, have Nino build you a 5 string Valenit frettless it would probably come in right at 1500 bucks, and like carvin, you could pick you finish, wood, hardware, etc.

19. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    woweezoweee that's a nice budget to have to work within.

20. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think you've got all kinds of great options at that price. +1 on Carvin as a viable option, but there's a good thread active right now about what is or isn't wrong with Carvin's body and headstock styles.