1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Budget-friendly bass distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wohnjalker, Jan 19, 2018.

1. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Bang on. I started with an American sound and on Ultimate drive. Great pedals. Now I run an Aftershock and a TC Spark (soon to be replaced by a barbershop)

2. TyCobb

TyCobb

Feb 17, 2014
    Folsom, CA
    I can't give a recommendation because the only ~$50 dist/fuzz pedal I bought and own is the Mooer Thunderball. It's really bad. I had high hopes for it because I really liked their Ninety Orange phaser.

I swear Amazon had I think 1 review for it in November, it was only sold at $45 looking at my purchase history and when I click on it right now they are now selling for $71 and has more bad reviews than I can remember, but are older. I feel like I was bamboozled by Amazon somehow :roflmao:

3. Michael4bass

Michael4bass

Aug 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
  4. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I've still got the Thunderball, I haven't found a use for it yet. I've offered it on a few trades, but no takers! :roflmao:

TyCobb likes this.
  5. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You can check the new line of pedals from TC. A lot of choices there, including a muff, at low prices and good solid boxes with top jacks. Hard to beat in terms of price and quality.

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Another possibility up around $70 used or $99 new is the VHT V-Drive. It’s a chameleon like OD that’s a knob twiddler’s delight. I’ve had one for awhile know and I still haven’t explored every sound this pedal has hidden in it. It has something like 10 different switch selectable clipping diodes for starters. So it’s not just one type of drive. Best bet is to download the manual and give it a read. It’s not the sort of product you can sum up in 20 words or less.

3C24832B-0158-48E5-B1E3-EFDF31BEF267.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    FilterFunk and LowActionHero like this.
  7. I'd say the MojoMojo. I like it and I used to have it on my board. I changed it for the Ashdown Drive Plus, but I kept the MojoMojo because it will come back eventually.
    However, even though it is a bit above your budget, I'd go to the EHX Bass Soul Food. I love that pedal

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  8. AROO

AROO

Jan 8, 2018
    You can get a woolly mammoth clone which sounds amazing. It's on ebay (search for little bear bs1)

9. TideSwing

TideSwing NJ to NV

Oct 31, 2014
    NV
    DOD Overdrive Preamp 250. Maybe not under $50 new but easy to find used under $50 - Reverb, GC, Amazon, here, etc...

birminghambass likes this.
  10. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I tried my guitar player's MojoMojo a couple of weeks ago and gave serious thought to stealing it.

11. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    ProCo Rat :thumbsup:

12. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Man, I forgot about the Thunderball. I had one too, and I really dig it! There is a youtube video out there somewhere comparing the Thunderball to the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe, and I think the Mooer destroys the MXR (in Fuzz mode. The Distortion mode is just clean with the Fuzz added on really quietly for some reason).

13. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Honestly? Find a used Boss DS-1. They go for less than $50 with shipping, used, and are a great workhorse. You will likely replace it when you know exactly what kind of tone you want, but will also have to spend more than $50 alas. It seems the sweet-spot for most inexpensive-but-reliable ODs are in the $120-$150 range.

(And if you have the money or find a great deal, I would also repeat getting an EHX Hot Wax. For the price the pedal is so amazingly versatile and you can dial in basically anything short of fuzz on it.)

14. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Mooer Bass Fog fuzz is a fun pedal. Very synthy fuzz. $50 or less, depending on where you buy it.

Here is a demo I made showing how it sounds in contrast to exh russian big muff and bass big muff pi, which are great pedals as well, but slightly more expensive.

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Keep an eye out for the DOD Boneshaker. The regular price is above your budget but they seem to rotate it through a pretty hefty sale pretty regularly, when you can get it for about $40.

16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I agree, one more for the joyo UD. Very cheap and sounds awesome. Its thicker in the bass when I compared to a couple real OCD pedals.

17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    The only ones I tried under $50 are the Joyo American Sound and the TC Electronics MojoMojo and I think both are great sounding pedals. The Joyo has a lots of controls is especially versatile and I prefer its lower gain sound. The MojoMojo is also pretty versatile and sounds great but I think it sounds even better at higher gain, which I tend to not use, so I don't use that pedal very much.

I see a few people have also mentioned the Bass Soul Food and I really like it as well but, from what I've read here on TB, it seems like we're in the minority. But I think it's a really nice sounding low-gain overdrive, which suits my needs, and I use it a lot. But used it's still a little above your $50 mark, though not by much, so I'd suggest it as an option if you could go a little bit higher.

scuzzy likes this.
  18. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    DOD boneshaker. It can do all of the above.

neuman likes this.
  19. Once again, Joyo. I have the Ultimate Drive and American, and for the money they can’t be beat, if you’re into OCD and Fender tones (though the American can do more than basic Fender). Paid about $50 total for both of them used.

If you ever want fuzz territory, or low gain OD/Fuzz, my recommendation for that price range is the old DOD Classic Fuzz. You will need a 1/8 inch adapter, however. Pedal and adapter will run $35-45 or so, but it holds its own against some of my boutique pedals quite nicely.

20. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Digitech BassDriver