budget friendly (preferably 5 stringed) acoustic bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Jan 10, 2009.

1. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme Guest

Sep 27, 2002
    Suffolk County, NY
    I've been procrastinating for years about grabbing an acoustic bass, mainly because I rarely see a bass player even own one. so... considering that one of its benefits is being loud when unplugged, I think it's around that time to be purchasing one.

I'd prefer a 5 stringed tuned to standard BEADG mainly because I am a 5 stringed player.

Mind posting pics and\or links of what you recommend? Please tell me why you recommend it, too, I'd like more information.

EDIT:
    by loud I mean louder than an unplugged EBG, and that's beneficial in the instances where I want one..
    and by budget.. well... what's good for under a grand? new\used,w\e.

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    None of them are loud when unplugged with the exception of the Earthwood -- huge. It's just simple physics. No way around it.

What is your definition of budget friendly?

3. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme Guest

Sep 27, 2002
    Suffolk County, NY
    loud for me in terms of unplugged is LOUDER than an unplugged EBG....

so yeah... my definition of budget friendly? under a grand. I'll edit my initial post. I thought it was informative enough.

4. DJJazzV

DJJazzV "There's nuthin wrong with this brain!" Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Try the Ibanez 5 string Exotic Woods acoustic. I have had mine for almost a year. You can usually get them used on ebay for less then $400. Be careful with the scale lengths on acoustic basses. Many are only 32". The Ibanez I mentioned is a full 34" scale. Good luck!

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-EWB205WNE-Exotic-Wood-Series-AcousticElectic-Bass?sku=512648

5. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    This bass is fairly loud unplugged thanks to its Phosphor Bronze strings, though they can buzz and zing if you're not attentive to your technique. Amplified this bass is amazing. I've used it to finger thump Johnny Cash tunes and then just switch to a pick to play Tom Petty, I don't feel like I have to reach for my Ric. The onboard preamp with EQ and tuner is very strong. Great for unplugged practice too. I'd suggest you try one at GC if possible.

Attached Files: