1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Budget gig setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kiada, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Kiada

Kiada

Mar 11, 2005
    Kendal
    Feels like I've been reading topics on here for hours tonight! Still very confused. So at the moment I really have a beginners practice amp (a 30W Carlsbro Bass Baby). Sounds terrible. We have our first gig in 3 weeks or so, and I get my uni loan on Monday.

Is there any way on earth I could acquire a half-decent setup for a small gig for around £400 ($600)?

We're a 3 man rock band, none of us have played live before. The other guys in the band have acquired some pretty rudimentary gear and none of us really has a clue about this stuff! We've ended up with a 200w amplifier and 2 different sets of speakers (4 speakers).

First I was looking at the Hartke Kickback 15, then the Gallien-Krueger MB115 Combo, then the Hartke Kickback 12.. then I read a very long topic about how anything less than 300 watts won't be enough for even a small gig. I'm just a little boggled by it all!

Can anybody suggest to me a setup in my price range (if one even exists!) to get me through a bands first few small gigs?

Edit: Also I think theres a DJ playing before us on the night, and we may be able to borrow his PA system as hes friends with a band mate - but naturally this wont do in the long run!

2. Kiada

Kiada

Mar 11, 2005
    Kendal
    I'm looking at the 'Fender Rumble 350' -- cant seem to find any reviews on it though?

edit: Just noticed its not in stock anywhere / pre-order. Nevermind!

3. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    You could just plug into the PA system from the DJ in a pinch.

Look for used Peavey stuff from the 80's and 90's. Traynor makes great stuff and you could probably get a 300-400 watt head and a cheap 4X10 cab (Peavey, Traynor, Acoustic) for under $600 USD.

Even check out musician's friend online. I bet you could piece together an Acoustic head and can setup through them for $600