1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Budget hard disc recorder

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Beav, May 14, 2006.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I'm looking for a budget 8 track HD recorder. My budget is about ~$400 maximum. I'm accustomed to computer recording, so I'm clueless about these. A couple that I've spotted are these -

Fostex MR8HD
    TASCAM DP01
    Fostex VF80EX

Are there any others I should be considering? I apoligise for the n00b questions and I thank you for all your help!

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    When you say 8 track, are you looking for something that can record 8 tracks simultaneously? Most of the ~$400 model can only record 2 tracks at a time.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    No, not 8 at once (I'd be nice :D). I *think* I read where one of the two Fostexs will record 4 tracks at once.

4. I have a DP-01FX and am quite happy with it:hyper: . IMO the xlr inputs, phantom power, better & more versatile inputs/preamps and A/D converters are worth the 99 bucks more and the efx are nice sometimes although I mainly just use the master reverb for playback and mastering. I also like the way Tascam has designed the user interface with real knobs and buttons instead of menus to scroll thru for every function. Also the straight forward way of recording tracks, or more simply no more pesky menus. I just finished mastering a cd for a classical pianist I recorded with the Dp-01 fx and 2 decent condenser mics and the detail and dynamics are awesome. So far I have been happy with everything I've recorded bass, keys, drums, el & ac gtr, sax and vox. The only exception of 1 vocalist who is very dynamic (loud) I need a better compressor.
    The Fostex wil record 4 tracks but it only has 2 analog inputs with A/D converters the other 2 channels will need to be digital already, useful if you are recording keyboards or electronic drums.

5. Jpat

Jpat

Mar 13, 2005
    Leonardville Kansas
    I recomend the Fostex. I have it's earlier version, and it's very user friendly. :)bassist: IMO)