1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Budget Humbucker Showdown...Epiphone EB-O vs. Squier Tele Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Which one is the better bang for the buck in your opinion?

The Epiphone is cheaper, the Squier probably more well known (at least to TB). Both are classics and beautiful. The Squier will be more familiar for me. But I actually like the SG look of the Epiphone better. The EB-O is a short scale, which is a plus for me as well.

I want pure muddy fret meat and been thinking about going the humbucker route, but with a budget in mind.

Which has the "meatier" tone? Any build quality concerns with the Epiphone? I'm about 90% sure what the Squier will offer in build. What do you guys think of these 2 basses? What is your knowledge of them? Which one would you buy if you were in my shoes?

2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I just bought a very unique Ibanez with a single Music Man style pickup. It's the Ibanez GSR100, available in walnut, black or gunmetal. It is so excellent and at Sam Ash it's only 179. I used it last weekend with a friend's Ampeg stack and it was incredible, had an outstanding, present growly tone. I know I'm hijacking but it would be worth your consideration...:bag:

Attached Files:

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It's a way better instrument: way better pickup, way better bridge and stringthrubody system, way better neck and finish. And a way better resale value, 'cause everybody know that QC is outstanding on that model (for the price) so, stickin' to technicalities, it's nearly a steal, in pretty positive sense, for its price tag.

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    +1

I played an Epi SG, It didn't seam very well built.

5. Ease of play....I'd go with the EBO. Tone.......the Squier. The Tele seems much better built, and I can't stand Gibson 3 pt bridges.

6. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    The Epi is built *really* cheaply. IMO there is a large potential for improvements. I had to correct the neck pocket - fine adjusment of the neck had been done with cheap paper and rests of MDF !!!

The pickup can easily improved: remove the pole screws and add a steel bar of 6x6 mm (1/4x1/4 inch) - it will be deeper, fuller, punchier and even a bit brighter. This Pickup is also used in Epi's EB3s which are *much* more welldone - they play in an entirely different league.

7. Thanks for your help guys. I read some reviews on the EB-0 after posting this and although the bodies appear to be made of mahogany, there were alot of reports of cheap build quality.

Anybody know if the Tele is available in any other color? All I can find is the maple/black sunburst.

8. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Try and find one of the earlier Epi EB-0s - like pre Y2K or so - they are the ones made in Korea with the "Gibson" engraved TRC. I have one - the wood is nicer, and the build quality better than the more recent examples. Pickups can be rewound or modded, or even replaced with a real Gibson mudbucker.

9. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    No, they are made of plywood (whis is not necessarily a disadvantage if done well). The EB3s are made of mahogany.

The simple mod to the PU i described earlier is *very* efficient - so efficient that it is not worth to spend more than the price of the bass itself for a real mudbucker or the fake muddy Gibson uses in the SG bass. It can even be refined by adding a pair of Alnico magnets.

Beate

10. Maybe the EB-3 should be something to look at? It's about $25 more then the Squier, and with 2 humbucks.

Beate, you have an EB-3? Correct? Can you tell me more about it? How does the bridge and neck pickup perform together? What's the overall quality of the bass?

11. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Diesel Kilgore,

I agree the EB-3 is a much better comparision than the EB-0. But I think the Precision TB is still better than either of them. You can also split the coil in that Squier humbucker and get other tonal options (sounds more like a modern P bass). Here's a thread about it.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/taming-beast-squier-vm-telebass-mudbucker-524029/

In my opinion, this more than makes up for any advantage the EB-3's two pickups can give it.

Good luck with the decision!

Bob

12. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    I'm pretty sure they aren't made of plywood but I could be wrong.

13. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    beleive it is a mahog veneer. was on my eb-1

14. The Squier was/is what i'm leaning towards. The Epiphone just looks cool to me, but the Tele is nice as well.

I'm a Squier noodlin' doohickey guy anyways, and I know what to expect from it without even touching it. I want a good tone humbucker and from what someone said above the Squier would be where it's at.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that it had that tone option, another notch for the Squier. :D

15. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Diesel,

Just to be clear. The series/parallel switching is a mod. But it's a pretty easy mod to do.

Bob

16. Yeah Bob, I read through that thread. Seems very simple. Makes me want to get a Tele even more and do that mod! :D

17. I played a friend's old beat up Gibson EBO and it played ral fast and had a great buzzy jack Bruce tone like a thousand pound bumblebee, I would be tempted to get an Epi version, But I'd be too afraid I'd be highly disappointed in comparison from all I've heard. As I have two VM Squiers that I'm real happy with, I would likely go with the Squier.