1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Budget in-ear monitors that still bring the boom-boom?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jacoby75, Feb 28, 2018.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey guys,

My Fender IEM's crapped out, and I'm in the market for some IEM's on a budget. Any thoughts on budget IEM's/Headphones that still have good low-end reproduction for us bass junkies? There are several chinese brands on Amazon, and "1More" seems to get some decent reviews on their triple driver set, but the reviews aren't all positive. I thought I would come straight to the source for all things boom-boom and see if you had any thoughts.

Thanks

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
  3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks.

4. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    I only settled on the Fender IEM's (single driver) because they were on a ridiculously cheap sale. I typically have used in the past - and faaaaarrrrr prefer - multiple-driver in-ears. I used some Westone dual drivers back in the day that were really nice, but my life changed forever when I bought my M-Audio triple driver's. Unparalleled sound. But the cable snapped on them a few years ago and can't be replaced, and I can't shell out $400 for headphones anymore when I'm not playing professionally. Thus the search for budget earbuds. I figure a quad-driver can't be all bad. Worth a shot for the price, certainly.

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If the break is external to the ear buds, you could probably splice in a new cable 2-PIN CABLE

6. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Indeed I can, thanks. The break was in the cable where it meets the actual earbud. Not in the earbud itself. I could just buy a replacement cable, and likely will someday. But I sent them back for replacement under warranty and should have a replacement soon. But this is the second pair that crapped out in about 6ms. So even though I'll have a new pair soon, I'm still looking for something else. Also, they have a very clean, clear sound. Almost too clear and crisp. And they're a bit lacking in the low end. At least for my tastes (acknowledging that they are a single-driver headphone and I'm a bassist so I may prefer more low end than the average listener). They're fine for listening to music (which is what I bought them for) as long as I can compensate with some kind of equalizer or bass boost within the music app. But I'd never use them for in-ear monitors as a bassist.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  7. jacoby75 likes this.
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    That sucks! Unfortunately it can be difficult to get the buds out of your ears without tugging on the cables. My band bought Starkey Tunz with removal cables to combat this problem. Unfortunately, I found out there is a tendency for the plug to break inside the mold, so the hardwired ones are considered more resistant to damage. I know we had to replace one of the cables before I left the band. I inspected the cable and the wire broke off where it was soldered to the plug, apparently due to inadequate strain relief. Hopefully the JH Audio cables are better.