Budget-ish wireless tx/rx for IEM

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by LowActionHero, Feb 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Alrighty, so I've been searching off and on for awhile, and the discussions seem to be mostly about the in ears themselves. I've been wireless on my bass for a couple yrs and now looking for a wireless setup for the in ears I already own. I don't need a real long range, I'm usually near my rig and/or the drummer, just HATE standing on cords and really don't want the tangle that's inevitable with 5 guys all tied to their respective mixers. I can't justify spending a lot since I'm not touring and running and jumping on a stadium stage, just need decent sound and reliability. And a frequency that the FCC won't take away in the next year or two.
    Thanx in advance..

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    It's not about range, as in TX power, that's limited by FFC rules... it's about
    • budget
    • Mono vs Stereo
    • the area you live in (minimizing interference)
    See this post.. Running 3 or more IEM units

Be aware that if you go "budget" wireless, audio quality is generally NOT the issue. It's the difference between a single frequency vs multiple and other features such as MONO vs STEREO.
    For example, the Galaxy AS900 is single [fixed] frequency, but the AS1100 and Shure's PSM600 are not.
    If you have issues with the AS900 on stage caused by local TV station interference, you are SOL.

bassmike2010 and LowActionHero like this.
  3. With the FCC I'm mainly talking about the bandwidth disappearing - there are units on ebay and Reverb using frequencies that will be gone next year.

I think stereo is probably necessary and multi frequencies definitely!

I know the bottom budget ones won't cut it, but I don't need top of the line, just curious what price range I'm looking at for solid vanilla units. Then I'll have to decide if it's worth it for my limited use or if I should just bite the bullet and park in front of my amp permanently.

The G2 and G3 aren't in danger of being obsolete frequencies? You seem to be happy with the performance. BTW, I'm the only one wireless in my band at the moment, but of course that could change. They'd probably be buying their own separate system then.

Also, I'm not at all opposed to buying used, I usually prefer it. Tnx

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. musicman7722 likes this.
  5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Correct... we are now limited to (I believe) 400-599 Mhz range for this stuff.
    Used is fine.. but you need at a minimum (IMHO) Galaxy AS1100/Carvin EM900 or better.. PSM200, 300 (both discontinued) and PSM600, along with Senn's G2, G3 units are all viable.
    Check which "band" is best for you area.. here's a couple of links and the "bands" each use. I have not listed Galaxy.. as I haven't researched their band labeling.
    PSM200's are decent unit's but not true stereo.. tho they do support dual inputs.

SHURE: Wireless Frequency Finder - Shure USA
    G20 - 488.150-511.850
    H20 - 518.200-541.500
    J13 - 566.175-598.850

Senn: Wireless Frequency Finder - Sennheiser USA
    A1 = 470-516 MHz
    A = 516-558 MHz
    G = 556-608 Mhz

6. Thanx for the tips! Off to do some more research!

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    with shure, that's the 200 and 400 that are the old entry-level systems (300 is their new "entry-pro" offering, don't ask me why they picked that number) and it's the 600 and 700 that are the beefier touring systems from back then. score a PSM600 or especially 700 in a still-legal band and you've got something nice! my own is a PSM700 in the 500MHz band, it's terrific.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Ethereal Thorn and LowActionHero like this.
  8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Agree.. my bad on the number, but ain't I allowed ONE fat-finger occasionally?? :)
    I didn't mention the 700 (as it's even older than the 200) nor the PSM900/PSM1000 as they're not close to entry-level!
    Yeah, if you can score a used one of ANY of the stereo PSM (or Senn G2) models in a "legal" frequency.. I say jump on it! :bassist::bassist:

worthy of note.. under the "Discontinued Personal Monitor Systems" page on the Shure site..
    We have PSM200, 400, 600, 700, and 900 listed !!

LowActionHero likes this.
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the 900 is discontinued? i thought that was only just out a couple of years ago.

just looked and the thing is still offered, must be a website error.

10. Spectrum is like real estate. They aren’t making any more of it.

As long as there is money to be made, we musicians are going to be the po’ folks looking for waterfront property. We can’t compete with Verizon, AT&T, et.al..

If you ever wondered how the repeal of Net Neutrality would ever affect you, welcome to the Brave New World.

DISCLAIMER: I’m a former Staff Director of Operations Support Systems for Verizon’s precursor, NYNEX.

11. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    My band is running a patchwork IEM system.
    There's one older Sennheiser that's in the range used by cellphones now and only works properly on the highest possible frequencies. These units usually are to be had dirt cheap, but are, depending on the country, not exactly legal - and not among the most reliable ones since 90% of their frequencies are jammed most of the time and you will have to make do with the few that remain.

We're also running two of Thomann's T.bone IEM 200 sets. These are okay. The sound is not the greatest. The reliability is okay, but when you have interference, they can be a PITA. We use two senders and three receivers (we're running mono) and when we have to juggle frequencies around it's really trial and error until something works. This means setting the frequency on the transmitter, then setting it on the receiver(s) and check for quality - and repeat until satisfied (or so frustrated that you'll take the ground noise).

We also have one Shure system of the newest generation that costs as much as the rest put together.
    That one scans the room for a free frequency and will set transmitter and receiver to that automatically, which is pretty convenient.
    It also has a really good sound and is dead reliable so far.

Since we're running mono I've toyed with the thought of selling my transmitter & receiver (I own one of the T.bones) and getting myself a Shure receiver to connect to that unit.

s0c9 and LowActionHero like this.
  12. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    You may well be right, 'cus that was my thought.. but yeah.. it shows on their discontinued page.
    Discontinued Personal Monitor Systems User Guides | Shure Americas

Infidelity likes this.
  13. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    i can't speak for Europe, but here in the Us, the most common problem I see locally and read about on forums is this. People using gear they have purchased at one time or another, that doesn't work real well together, or is older. They blame the gear. Yes, there's an expense to getting the upper-tier gear, but auto-sensing open channels, linking of xmitter to receiver, adjustable limiters, receiver EQ, and STEREO make a HUGE difference to the usability of the units. We have 5 Senn G3 IEM units ("G" band and no combiner antenna) sitting in a rack and have minimal (if any) interference. Not cheap, but when you play every weekend (80+) gigs a year, it's well worth the expense and the plug-n-play ability. I don't worry about frequencies.. more about whether my batteries are charged :)
    I highly recommend upgrading ...

14. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I've had a couple friends use the cheapy unit from Pyle (<$200), and they've rarely, if ever, had an issue. Not a ringing endorsement, as I've not actually used it - just an option to check out.

15. It'd be a option but im fairly certain it's mono only and it isn't able go lower then 70hz if memory serves me right. I tried the Nady pem1000 hoping it would be a affordable option for stereo wireless iems but it was hot garbage completely unusable sadly. I havent found anything usable under $700 besides maybe the Carvin system sadly.

16. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Net neutrality really has nothing to do with unlicensed frequencies versus licensing those. It's two separate issues.

17. Let’s agree to disagree about that. In my opinion and my experience, the lack of available spectral frequencies, combined with various governmental agancies’ requirements and newer technologies relating to use of available spectra relate strongly to net neutrality and the ways a carrier can monetize the spectra they control via the auction process.

FURTHER DISCLAIMER: In 1996, my responsibilities for NYNEX included technically vetting all business cases in the NYNEX region (the northeastern USA).

18. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Okay, but the auctions ramped up while we had net neutrality, not down. These are two separate issues/problems you are talking about. The answer to the issues net neutrality tried to fix is probably not it, nor what we have now.

As to frequency usage, the government is the huge hog of bandwidth, bar NONE. And, it grows even bigger with the ill-advised FirstNet that suffers from easy of hacked due to its centralization design. A small portion from that range would have been better put to use for wireless systems for musicians, churches, conferences and conference centers, private companies, etc., for low-power usage as the primary user.

bassmike2010 likes this.
  19. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    FWIW I just talked to both sales and service depts. at Shure
    and was told the current PSM production models are PSM300,
    900 and 1000 (as my question addressed support/ service).
    They sd they are the only (authorized) repair facility Emery IL
    and will service all until parts run out. Not much out there in
    the line of used (affordable/ legal) systems. May have to muscle
    the budget into a G3 set (after recent new GK acquisition)...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    s0c9 likes this.
  20. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    So the PSM200, 400 and 600 are "officially" obsolete now.. who knew? Still plenty of them out there in the wild :)

bassmike2010 likes this.