1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Budget of $1200-1500: What bass do you buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Murph_Orpheus, Jul 11, 2018.

1. So my budget is as it says on the tin. Toying around with different ideas of what my next bass will be and would be interested to hear what everyone here would do with this kind of budget. Any style bass for any style of music. Looking forward to hearing what basses people have next on their list or what dream basses they may have in mind (or indeed, if this amount of money would even fetch said dream basses!) :)

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Used MusicMan Caprice if you want a 4 string .

Used Elite Fender Jazz V.

3. Sub41

Sub41

Jul 13, 2006
    North FL
    What would I buy with that kind of cash? A Fender Mustang PJ and spend the other grand on some more great stuff.

4. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Here's what on my list at that price point

• MusicMan Stingray
    • MusicMan Sterling
    • Warwick Streamer
    • Warwick Thumb

5. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Used Stingray V

6. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I'd tend to buy used for less than that amount but if new I'd go with a G&L Kiloton or L2000 made to order.

wmmj, JohnnyPustular, Luigir and 3 others like this.
  7. A lot of love for Music Man! I haven't owned one since I had one of the first SUB series almost 15 years ago. Love the Warwick Thumb too, I have a 5 string bolt on model and it's the pride of my collection.

I've been looking on the used market and I've found a Sadowsky Metro in that price range which is very tempting.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  8. Used G&L M-2500...or a Schecter Hellraiser Extreme-5 brand new and keep the other $400

Raw N Low, tekhedd and Murph_Orpheus like this.
  9. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    AVRI 63 P in sonic blue
    Or
    Stingray Classic black with maple neck

noeinstein and lowdownthump like this.
  10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Two Sire P7 5ers, one fretted, one fretless. ;)

akrachanko and Matthew_84 like this.
  11. If I had no other basses, G&L. Since I have a G&L, I'll throw out a Lakland Decade because I've wanted one since they came out. The Yamaha BBP34 looks pretty neat too. If I could find an old Roscoe Beck IV in that price range, I'd jump on that too.

tekhedd likes this.
  12. Kriegs

Kriegs Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Custom G&L order! You'll get exactly what you want and all within your budget... unless you go crazy with the exotic options ;)

13. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Used Spector Euro, a.k.a. "The best bass bargain available in the world".

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I own one, hope to own a few more.
    For years I've heard nothing but praise for this bass. Hard to believe they could possibly be as good as people said…until I finally saw one at Robbie's Music in Wayne, NJ.
    The simple truth?
    They're even better than people say.
    20180502_135203. 20180712_090831. 20180712_090808.

15. In that price range, you can get one of many fabulous basses. If you don't already have one, you could snag a used Fender P or J AVRI or Original. A used StingRay or Rickenbacker or German Hofner also could be had for that money, but they're probably less versatile, if that's what you're looking for.

byoung93888, Marc61 and Murph_Orpheus like this.
  16. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    I literally drooled a little when that green L2000 scrolled up my screen. I've always wanted a green bass and that thing is GORGEOUS. Plus, I now know how incredible those basses are after buying an L2500 from a TB'er a few months ago. I like my L2500 for some reasons, but after trying a few different 5'rs, I've allowed myself to accept: I'm just not much of a 5 string guy. I want a 4-string version of the same thing, and if I could get it in that beautiful finish with the matching headstock, I'd probably find it hard to gig with anything else...

The "wine" one with the maple board is just as lovely, btw.

JohnnyPustular and jd56hawk like this.
  17. dennis james

dennis james

Jun 30, 2018
    g&l or carvin/kiesel

18. I am waiting on a new 5 string, fretless, Ibanez SRF705 Portamento I ordered two months ago for $1200 Canadian.

BBC14DA4-936E-4FCC-B8EF-84B72C3C906B.

If you don’t have a fretless, you may want to look at getting one. It encourages a whole different style of playing, in my experience anyway.

Wisebass and Rugmaster like this.
  19. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I’d go here and browse for something that strikes your fancy. Many Skyline series that are within your range. For my money, the slickest necks in the business.

Welcome to Lakland