Budget or high end?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Washishimi, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Budget

66 vote(s)
  2. High End

100 vote(s)
  3. Mix

141 vote(s)
  1. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Just out of curiosity, have you guys had better luck with high end basses or the the ones costing under $1000?

Out of all of the basses I have owned over the years (basses that have stayed with me for more than 6 months - probably close to 50 or so), my top five basses have been the more entry level type usually costing between $500 and $800. I've had basses ranging in price from $99 to $5000, but I always seem to hold on to the lower priced ones. Just wondering what other people have experienced.

2. i cant afford the high end ones so i would have to say the mix
  3. JBalloonist

Apr 16, 2005
    Franklin, OH
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's just personal preference, but it all starts to level out after about $1200 (new or used) and it IS level after $2500.
  5. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I have had almost as many basses as you have over the years, and I have never paid $1000.00 or more for a bass.
    I used to read Carol Kaye's forum alot, and she claimed that none of the major players on the L.A. scene (during her years) ever played boutique basses. She's not a big fan of them, and I'm just not good enough to spend that kind of money on an instrument.I don't know if I would call 500-1000 a budget instrument though, you can get a fine instrument for that kind of money.
  6. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, I agree that calling a bass a budget bass for that price range is probably wrong. And knowing what the price is to draw the line between low end and high end basses is anyones guess. I know it is all pref and there are a lot of different factors, but I was more just curious to see what types of basses people generally hold on too.
  7. i would say a budget istrument is under $300
  8. Even though I love my higher priced stuff, the bass I ALWAYS come back to is my Conklin GT-5. It will prolly always be an absolute favorite. And that was a $750 Musician's Friend-er.

Too bad it doesn't have the "oooooh" factor of the high-end stuff! :eyebrow:
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My Mexi P Bass is a wonderful instrument. I paid $200 for it used, swapped the stock pickup for a DiMarzio Will Power Middle and strung it up with DR Hi Beams...I like it as much as any bass I've ever owned...well my Hoyt/Warmoth J5 is pretty special too...but it was very reasonably priced too...
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm not knockin lower priced instruments but I've found "the one" and it's a Sadowsky. And i've been thru lots of instruments all thru the price spectrum and just recently played a most excellent 249$ Squire! But Roger still does it for me!
  11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    My favourite bass is my Carvin which I consider to be pretty much mid-high end and my ARIA which is about as low as it comes is my second fave. SO I guess it's a mix for me. But generally the mid-high stuff works better for me.
  12. my favourites are always korean ibanez's, american standard fenders and now KSD's

i saw that carol kaye chick in the new ibanez catalog the other day holding an srx700......

if i had my choice id be playing ibanez musician and atk basses and ksd basses for the rest of me life, most perfect basses ive ever played
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's neither. Back in the 70's, there was only one type: American and they were all the same for the most part. Therefore my favorite falls into neither category.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hmmmm. Howabout 'high end' basses that you bought on a budget?

My main instrument these days listed for over 2K (I guess that qualifies as high end, but after looking at the stuff around here, I dunno), but I paid 800 for it new...after sitting in an obscure store in the middle of nowhere for 4 years. I traded a few things, and paid less than 300 bucks for the bass.

My other favorite is a 73 Precision. I paid less than $700 for it, and I see them go fer over a grand in the same or worse shape. Does that make it a budget bass, or a high end one?
  15. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Mix. My two favorite basses are a Samick Fairlane 6 (a budget 6-string) that I scored used for $300 and a Warwick Corvette Standard 4 I scored used with case for $700. The Warwick is in a completely different league than the Samick as it's normally a $1400 instrument while the Samick is normally a $600 instrument.

Both play and sound great, and were technically below $1000 for me, but one's clearly higher end than the other.

Yes, my Warwick is what I always instinctively want to pick up these days.
  16. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I've got to disagree here. I have 15 basses of various makes and various costs (from Fender, Gibson, Musicman, Pedulla, Godin, Peavey, Rickenbacker, Alembic), costing from $400 to $5600. I can say that you definitely get what you pay for. My Gibson Ripper, while a wonderful instrument, is just not in the same league as my Alembics. However, it has qualities I like personally, so that's why I bought it.

My Pedulla, while a great instrument too, is not in the same league with my Alembics. The Pedulla cost about $2200, the Alembics $4K plus. I can tell you that the Pedulla, as fine as it is, is not as "refined" as my Alembics, nor does it have the tones available as does, say, my Alembic Dragon's Wing or Spyder. It's still a fine instrument (I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't), but it's not an Alembic. However, there are times that I don't want or need a "refined" instrument, so that's why I bought the Pedulla. That thing just growls, and I love the neck to death. Plus it's small, and it's great for small stages and gigs.

My experience is the more you pay, the more you get, and the finer the instrument. Does a higher pricetag make it better for the individual? Not necessarily. Some folks are satisfied with a mass produced instrument like a Fender or an Ernie Ball Musicman, but for others nothing but a handmade Alembic, Fodera, etc. will do. Others are perfectly satisfied with an inexpensive Ibanez or Squier, hot rodded as appropriate. Bill Wyman played a bass he paid $30 for on most of the Rolling Stones' albums. Geddy Lee uses a '70s Jazz he paid $200 for in a pawn shop. The player ultimately determines how "good" and instrument is. To each his/her own.

For me, the more expensive basses are worth every penny, particularly Alembics. Again, to each his/her own.
  17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm lucky enough to have some real nice basses now, all of which I'm pretty happy with, although even my most expensive bass (Status) didn't cost the megabucks that some instruments might. That said, I paid a fairly wide range of prices for my basses, and the one I pick up most often (at home or for gigs) is still my MIM Jazz. It's a really good one and I've modded it a bit, but it has occurred to me before that the instrument I seem to play the most is the one that actually cost me the least. :confused:

The new Jazz I'm putting together may well change that, though. I'll post when I know how it's turned out....
  18. no....there was austrlaian, there was Maton, and you had the Japanese Ibanez's
  19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    My bass of choice, the Carvin LB70, usually costs a little more or less than $1000 after the options. So based on your criteria I voted mix.
  20. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I have a 72 Jazz that has been modded to hell (super old Barts, Badass, Hipshot), and it's by far the best sounding/playing bass I ever owned or played.
    It's prolly not worth jack, but to me it is.

And my Fender Victor Bailey Jazz, the only thing holding me back from a Sadowsky 4.

From there I goto Sadowsky 5 & FBass 5.

Mix for me.