Budget Priced/High Quality Amp, Oxymoron?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aristotle, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Being that I'm on a fairly tight budget with car payments and soon to have rent payments, and being that I'm in need of a new amp, I know I dont have many options. I dont care to be relegated to the field of beginner amps such as the Fender Rumble Series, G-K Backline and SWR LA, I'd like to find something with a fairly easy price, but still with decent quality and power. Is this possible or am I just overly optimistic?
  2. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    This is possible, especially with used gear. Could you say how much money you'd like to spend so we might be able to make some intelligent reccomendations?

Good luck!
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Not a problem...as long as you're willing to buy used gear.

By careful shopping and being in the right place at the right time, you'll be able to come up with a great amp for low, low bux.
  4. Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    I'm probably going to be looking at a maximum of 600.
  5. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    When you say amp, do you mean just an amplifier, or are you also in need of a speaker cabinet?
    If we're just talking about amplifiers here, 600 dollars will buy you a nice amp.
  6. Check out Traynor amps from the 60's. You can get one for $150-300 on ebay, take it to a good amp tech for $50-100 and have super tone. 70's Acoustic amps are also decently priced and offer great value.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, you'll need a cab to go with that amp, no?

Avatar and Acme immediately come to mind.

the Avatar's only $229 for a well built solid 2x10.

for more hifi needs, Acme is the one. $480 for a suuuuuper quality 2x10 that'll prolly scale much better for any hi-end pieces of gear you add to your rig.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Used, used, used!!! I haven't bought a brand new amp in 15 years.

$600 will get you a GK 400RB head, a 1-15" or 2-10" cabinet and could leave you with $1-200 in your pocket (or you could use it to get a second cabinet).
  9. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Try going to Http;//www.dancetech.com go to the store at the top right and do a search for 't amp'

They make low price power amps, im not sure if they are any good, i will know in a month or so when i buy one, i just love xmas and birthdays.
  10. NedtheRed

Jun 20, 2002
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I got a GK400RB and an ampeg BSE-410 for $500 total.

Used, man - Its the only way to go.
  11. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I found these cabs the other day while surfing. I haven't heard any testimony nor do I have any afilliation but they "look" decent and are reasonably priced. You can, of course, just buy used as mentioned. I can't even remember the last time I bought something new.

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Hell, i got my epifani 2x10 on a sweet deal. i coulda got that and a used RMX for under what you are looking to spend.
  13. rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX

That is definitely the way to go. Especially if you are looking for high end or at least quality stuff at a reasonable price. You can usually get for half of what you pay for brand new equipment.

However, if you want brand new stuff - don't knock Behringer. A three hundred watt amplifier for $199!:eek: Rumored to be reverse engineered from an Ashdown amp!:eek: So, basically an Ashdown for $200!:eek: I have yet to hear anything bad about them.

As for an inexpensive cabinet - Avatar!

That's my recomendation for a cheap rig that will rock!:bassist:

Otherwise go used!
  14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Don't forget about Yorkville. the XM-200(T) is probably the loudest combo on the market, and is great with pedals.
  15. damnit ox u beat me to it anyway i agree wiht ox, go for the yorkville combo mabey even the xs400 i dont know how much the are american. it might be too much but anyway thats my suggestion.
  16. sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Question to bass land, I've heard little about yorkville in the past but Im sure hearing a lot about them here, I'm bass player 4 string have been for a few years, my question is what is your opinion regarding the xm400/H...does any one out there own one???and if so what does it sound like???should I go for a listen?
  17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    There is no xm400. I think you're talking about the XS-400. from what I hear it's very good (despite the sovtek preamp tube that comes with it). I'm getting it sometime after xmas.