budget rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeeP, Aug 22, 2002.

1. LeeP

Aug 22, 2002
    Frankfort, KY
    Just found this forum! I've been playing for about 25 years off and on, mostly jazz. I still use the same EB3 I started with played thru a Polytone MBIII. Now I'm in a new Christian rock group and my little Poly won't compete with the guitar players Marshall half stack.

We'll probably be playing venues from outdoors on a farm wagon to concrete block church basements to mid-size clubs.

Since I've bassicaly been out of the amp market for 20 years, what would be a good amp setup on a budget, say less than $500? I'm thinking combo mainly for portability. I'm not in a major metro area so trying out a lot of amps is tough, so I'm looking for some recommendations of where to start. Thanks!
  2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    It'll be tough to hear yourself at an outdoor concert with any rig, but I'd reccommend finding a used Hartke or Gallien Krueger head on ebay, this site, bassgear.com or harmony central. If you can keep that down to $250 or so, you could pair it with an Avatar 4x10 for $250 more, plus shipping.

At this price range you'd have an easier time finding a simple combo, but if you want to play outdoors you might need more volume than a combo can provide.
  3. I am considering the Avatar 4x10 myself. What do you guys think about this stuff? Maybe even a 2x10 and a 1x15. Thanks.
  4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    It's good stuff. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  5. I really like my Avatar B210/B115 setup.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    For $500 I think you'll have trouble finding something good thats loud enough, but maybe other people know something I dont.