1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Budget slap bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panaran, Apr 20, 2009.

1. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Looking for a bass thats good for slap, but I'm on a budget. Not really sure what it is tho, but im looking for good value/dollar. Doesnt have to be anything fancy, im just trying to learn slap a little and my Peavey Millenium BXP isnt that great for it. No matter how i set it up, i just cant get the tone out of it.

I was looking at SX basses, i think those are my best bet. But im open to any suggestions, new, used, modded, doesnt matter. thanks.

2. Ibanez soundgear, as long as you like the neck profile. One of the cheapo EBMM will do, and, well, come to think of it, a LOT of basses will do....

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Ibanez and SX are your best bet. Go used, if you go Ibanez.

In honesty, almost any bass can be slapped.

4. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    Search the forums, but do it quickly. There was a review on the first page just minutes ago. It was an SX jazz. Looked great and soundend very nice. Pics and audio included.

5. what strings and stuff do you run on your peavey

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    There was a clip recently of someone slapping on a SX... it pretty good.

7. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah I actually just saw those, sound really nice. I think im gonna pick one up.

Sorry if I sound like a n00b but I kinda am haha. I played guitar for about 8 years and have been playing bass since November. Once my muscle memory in my fingers switched over to bass, I can play almost everything my band throws at me finger picking wise. I'm just looking for something a little more challenging to keep me occupied and to bring something extra to the band. Thanks for the help guys.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

A SX or used MIM Fender Jazz would work.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
  10. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    1) Jazz bass
    2) Fret job to get the action low with light strings
    3) Woodshed

11. Yamaha BB414

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think you can get a setup done on your bass and should be good to go. I'm not aware of a bass you "can't" slap on. Stick with what you got. My first bass was a total junker. I assure you that you are starting out better than that.

13. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Woodshed?

14. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    woodshed = practice, practice, practice!

15. Older Spector Legend P/J configuration - tone and slap monster for the money.