budget slapping bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkpunker, Nov 12, 2002.

1. hi, i am well into playing slap bass, im not that good at the moment, but am improving slowly! part of my problem is my bass. i have a £550 ibanez SR705, which is a five string, but part of their attributes is a narrow fret board, which causes me no end of hassle as i keep screwing up my fingers by scrapping along the G when plucking the D. i am seriously looking for a new one, but have a very limited budget, i have an old bass that i could sell which would generate £300 tops, and thats all i have. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a decent bass that i could buy for slapping within that kinda budget. im not bothered by names, but it needs to be pretty good build cos i tend to bash them up alot! i have seen a lot about the new OLP musicman copy, and was wondering if anyone had tried/bought one and could tell me if they are ok, or any alternatives would be greatly received. Thanks.
  2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I played a Peavey G-bass a while back (graphite w/ one p/u) and it was amazing for the money. I thought it was a great cheap slapper...
  3. thats a very nice bass, i think i have tried one out before, but unfortunately, its abit out of my price range, im aiming for £300 ($500ish) if i wanted a quick buy, or £500 ($800ish) if i saved up, which i am not good at!! so if anyone can helo, let me know!
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are looking for a 5 string, the OLP has narrow spacing, like your Soundgear.

A great, low priced slapper is the MTD Kingston 5. But it may be a little out of your price range, around $500 US.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't think you could go wrong with an MIM jazz 5. They are reasonably priced, but I don't know what they go for in England.

6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    go used if you can - i haven't bought a new bass in 10 years. Why pay double the price when you don't have to?
  7. why dont you sell the SR as well?
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am selling my 506. There is a thread in Classifieds.
  9. I actually meant funkpunker

but if your bass wasn't teal(ish) I'd probably consider it.

Wait, Im poor :D
  10. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    How about Ibanez ATK. It's great for slapping and amazing for the price! Try www.thomann.de and search for it. They have 400 and 405 models for cheap.

11. that kingston looks well nice, has a wicked double coil humbucker as well by the looks, i have not found anywhere in the UK that would sell it to me though, second hand or not. so if anyone knows anywhere?! i have no problem with buying second hand, but would prefer a 4 string this time, i rarely slap my B so i figure may as well save the extra pennies!! :D i know plently of places i could get the OLP which is why im interested, and they have had some pretty decent reviews and are well in my budget. as for selling me 705... i dont think me dad would let me! it was a gift from him for me bday so i dont think he would let me!! :( please try to remember that i live in England when posting! makes it so much easier for me, and i am a lazy bugger. cheers people. (sorry about the length)